1081 Project Errata

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundguy

Got to work on the 1081 boards today (thanks tom!), found something that doesnt add up:

On the 340 card silk screen, the polarity on C3 and C4 is reversed from what the overlay in the PDF shows. Further, the schematic included in the download material doesnt match the 340 silk at all, shows c3 as 220p and no C4.

Does anyone have the proper schem that the boards were made from (tom?) and which is the correct orientation of the two tant caps.

dave

ah, indeed it was, didnt see that.

Additionally-

On the 338's-

It would be helpful to get the schems posted that the PCBs were made from, lots of stuff doesnt match up to my noob brain between the schem in the pack and the boards. Beyond that though, there are some changes on the overlay and the silk screen, perhaps there is an update that hasnt been posted yet?

r3 on the overlay is r4 on the silk, r4 on the overlay is r5 on the silk, R6 on the overlay looks like r7 on the silk, D3 on the overlay looks like r6 on the silk, R7 on the overlay is R8 on the silk, it goes on...

I tried to make some sense of this with the schem, but I cant get things to line up, Q1 and Q2 on the board are bc184, which are shown in positions 2 and 3...

dave

All updates that I got from Tom has been posted so far!
I've built a couple of 438 / 440 that works fine so I'll look into this later!

I DL'd all the new updated files yesterday when I started working on it. Im sure the 338 is just a question of a simple update.

dave

got another-

on the 312 card looks like R84 and R79 should be the same value. The parts list shows R79 as 47R and R84 as 470R. Are those values correct? Both come off pin 3 of the B308 amplifier.

dave

also, whats the value of the "?" resistor on the left side of the board?

I feel like an ass with all these questions, it would be cool to link the schems that the boards were done from, there are many discrepencies between the values on the linked schems and the values on the parts list so its tough to trace it back.

Im sure Tom will get to all this when he gets a moment. Luckily I have 18 half finished other things to tend to in the mean time.

DIY disease...

dave

[quote author="soundguy"]I feel like an ass with all these questions, it would be cool to link the schems that the boards were done from, there are many discrepancies between the values on the linked schems and the values on the parts list so its tough to trace it back.[/quote]

No,
don't feel that way

it's all good

ask more questions and find more discrepancies please ... This is a true work in progress so tread slowly and be sure of what you are doing.

The people doing this project, the second time round will reap all the benefits

Regarding the "?"-resistor:
I already discouvered this when Tom puplished this project and asked him back there. It's R22 although i can't find the value in the parts list so i think Tom didn't write it in there yet.
It's really best to forget about the silkscreen on the pcbs and go with the newest revisions found on Tekay's homepage. There were already some issues found on the old TT and i think they are corrected on the newest versions of the documents.

But i also have to say big respect to Tom. Doing a project of this size and complexity and yet having most things covered and only some mistakes. If i would have made this i am 100% sure half of the board would be screwed :green:

Flo

[quote author="soundguy"]...it would be cool to link the schems that the boards were done from...[/quote]

I think the discrepancies can be explained... I believe, and Tom can correct me, but I believe his parts list and values came from an actual example unit, and not from a schematic. Thus the schematic came second, maybe not even from Tom, and that's why it has some differences. I believe Tom is sticking with the parts he saw on the unit. If so, we should follow Tom's lists and not a schematic when there are differences.

I agree with Kev, Dave your questions are good for all and TK and Tom and Jonathan everyone involved in parts and hosting and building are making this happen and it's very positive.

:guinness: :sam: :thumb:

I have a big pack of 1081 stuff from neve, which I should really scan and get the hell online now that this prohect is going forward. Right now, when I go through my schems, very little matches up, so its difficult to trouble shoot what I have here.

So...

Ive stuff the boards referencing the part no's on the silk screen to the values listed in the part list rev 3. There are some obvious discrepencies listed above. Has anyone gotten through one of these yet? I know a few folks have had their hands on the baords for a while longer than me. I think before I go any further, I want to just confirm that the parts list is good, feeling a little blind stuffing boards without being able to follow a schem.

dave

[quote author="soundguy"]I have a big pack of 1081 stuff from neve, which I should really scan and get the hell online now that this project is going forward. Right now, when I go through my schems, very little matches up, so its difficult to trouble shoot what I have here.
[/quote]

yep
welcome to the Neve merry go round
I have BCM10 and 20 into 4 schematics and manuals ... and more ... so many places where there are subtle differences. Even on the basic BA283 and other basic cards that you would think are the same.

As for assembly, sorry Dave I have had my boards for less than a week and simply no time to get any resistors on them. The Olympics are just too close and we are so far behind. I'm scared.

I will do my best to look into this asap.

Just be glad you've got your boards. Still haven't seen mine as of yet ( granted, mine are coming with some more traffos, which took forever to get here last time =) )

ju

Can anyone with digital calipers measure the hole size for the opamps, want to put sockets in there.

who else is building this right now, anyone? Perhaps I am the lone wolf. Im off to howl at the moon now.

dave

Alright guys, I'm back :green: Absorbing as much summer as I can :wink:

As was mentioned a few posts back, I didn't have the schems when I made this project so I created my own component designations (numbering). In the excitement of finally digging up the schems, I forgot to cross reference the designations to mine :oops: Will do so and post the corrected files.

Dave, the holes are 0.038" ... probably -0.001/0.002 because of the through hole plating.

Resistor marked ?, we did go through this a while back and I thought I had changed it on the silk screen but seems like it passed through. It is in fact R22. It's not in the parts list :?: so I'll fix that as well.

I'll post back here once the new files are up and ready.

Sorry guys, I haven't been around very much to put any time on this. Please give me 'till next week and I promise to sort everything out.

:guinness: :sam:

Back