1176 Power Supply Repair

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corgan4321

Hello,

I have an Urei 1176 Rev F on the bench that had a burned power supply. I replaced the failed 30V zener with a part I got on eBay but am only getting 26.5V out of the Zener when fitted into the unit. I tested the zener out of circuit with a 1k resistor in series and a 40V DC supply and I”m only getting the Zener to clamp down 24V. Is this a bad part? In circuit, R84 (the 3W resistor) is dropping 11V - about 125mW through there.

Thank you!

that’s my suspicion as well… is there a reputable place to get a replacement part? Does it make sense to replace the part with a modern regulator in 2024?

Not too many choices from a web search, but one kinda got my attention. Studio Electronics is quite reputable and shows stock. Owner David Kulka is also a long time member of GDIY.

https://studioelectronics.biz/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1148

And UREI changed to a 3 terminal regulator design in Rev G. OOPs....I misnamed the schemo shippet below as F!

Bri

Attachments

• UREI 1176 F power supply.pdf
    292.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Just put a 3.5V zener in series with it?

Note that it would only have to be 3.5/30 = 0.116x the wattage of the whole zener, so you can probably easily get away with a standard 1.3W type

/Jakob E.

that’s my suspicion as well… is there a reputable place to get a replacement part? Does it make sense to replace the part with a modern regulator in 2024?
Digikey actualy has them in stock, but someone made a pricing mistake. should be 35$ not 355:) if you call them, they would sell it to you for the proper price I would think.

Not too many choices from a web search, but one kinda got my attention. Studio Electronics is quite reputable and shows stock. Owner David Kulka is also a long time member of GDIY.

https://studioelectronics.biz/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1148

And UREI changed to a 3 terminal regulator design in Rev G. OOPs....I misnamed the schemo shippet below as F!

Bri
I think at some point in the near future, a small utility PCB designed to replace the 30v Zener rail with the Rev G design would be in order! Seems like that’s a better/safer bet moving forward.

I think at some point in the near future, a small utility PCB designed to replace the 30v Zener rail with the Rev G design would be in order! Seems like that’s a better/safer bet moving forward.
One unknown to be determined would be the heat sink required by the 7824. Perhaps someone here has a "G" and can describe the factory heat sink design.

Bri

I found the attached image of a Rev G. Seems to be minimal heat sinking. Switching the lamps to LED would even further lower consumption on that + rail.

Attachments

• 1716609425027.jpeg
    1716609425027.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 1
The incandescent bulbs in the original design are connected before any of the regulation stuff....IOW they are fed from the "raw" DC voltage.

Bri

Good point
Personally, I have mixed "emotions" about replacing incandescents with LEDs in these applications.

Yes, the LED will last "forever"...no re-lamping in the future. Also less current drain.

Minus side ..the magic color temperature will change. And, the spread of the illumination inside the meter tends to have hot spots.

Plus side...you can have bright blue VU meters <g>.

Bri

Personally, I have mixed "emotions" about replacing incandescents with LEDs in these applications.

Yes, the LED will last "forever"...no re-lamping in the future. Also less current drain.

Minus side ..the magic color temperature will change. And, the spread of the illumination inside the meter tends to have hot spots.

Plus side...you can have bright blue VU meters <g>.

Bri
I sound that using standard yellow, or I also found some Amber let's that looked quite good. I actually had a job removing bright white leds that a previous tech had installed in one of my clients 1178 and 1176 because he hated the light quality. I personally don't understand the led brightness wars that seem to be going on nowadays. I always fit standard old leds. I hate being laser beamed when I look at a led straight on with the modern ones.

I sound that using standard yellow, or I also found some Amber let's that looked quite good. I actually had a job removing bright white leds that a previous tech had installed in one of my clients 1178 and 1176 because he hated the light quality. I personally don't understand the led brightness wars that seem to be going on nowadays. I always fit standard old leds. I hate being laser beamed when I look at a led straight on with the modern ones.
Several years ago I found a LED replacement for the famous #47 bayonet bulb and I installed it behind the "jewel" of a friend's Fender (model forgotten) guitar amp. Wow that was bright.

Bri

Latest posts

Back