2-way crossover for monitors+subwoofer (Y cable? transformers? passive? active? DSP?)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzzzz

GDIY Supporter
Rather than bring back a zombie thread, figured I'd make a new one for 2024.

I have a Yamaha HS8S subwoofer. It rules and sounds great (I've been using it with NS10s), but the built-in crossover is kind of "eh." Seen photos of the built-in amps on the HSx series monitors and they are full of JRC4558s 😬 ...
with NS10s, who cares but with more critical speakers, you don't want your nice clean signal going through a bunch of 4558s before your amp...

Making this thread for opinions, suggestions, and ideas.

CURRENT SETUP:

OPTIONS:

The miniDSP unit looks good, but there are also plenty of old DSP units aimed at Live Sound that are now very affordable secondhand, but whether they really sound better than the internal crossover might be debatable (and it's going through that circuitry irrespective, no?)

The biggest plus of using something like a DriveRack is that you'll also get parametric EQ that you can use to help out the in-room response, and obviously that you have the option of setting a limiter, if you have visiting engineers who might be unkind to your speakers.

Last edited:
The miniDSP unit looks good, but there are also plenty of old DSP units aimed at Live Sound that are now very affordable secondhand, but whether they really sound better than the internal crossover might be debatable (and it's going through that circuitry irrespective, no?)

The biggest plus of using something like a DriveRack is that you'll also get parametric EQ that you can use to help out the in-room response, and obviously that you have the option of setting a limiter, if you have visiting engineers who might be unkind to your speakers.

Yeah we have the big miniDSP SHD with Dirac Live in our main room hooked up for our big ol' Urei 809 mains.

Did the correction measurements in Sonarworks and/or REW (I forget) and then loaded them into the Dirac and it was a night-and-day difference.

Back