22 Channel GSSL...FINISHED w/pics!!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holly Moly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1        :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

How much did this project cost you??

I'm getting parts for my stereo unit......    :p

that's just ridiculous. insanely ridiculous, nice job.

I haven't looked at a gssl schematic in a long time. How did you mod the circuit for mono?

MasonAtom said:

I haven't looked at a gssl schematic in a long time. How did you mod the circuit for mono?

Quite simple actually...since it's a stereo compressor, you just leave off the components for one of the channels.  The comp already only has one sidechain anyway, so you just populate one channel and the sidechain...and viola!

regularjohn said:
MasonAtom said:

Quite simple actually...since it's a stereo compressor, you just leave off the components for one of the channels.  The comp already only has one sidechain anyway, so you just populate one channel and the sidechain...and viola!

Pretty much figured that would be the case, but as I hadn't looked over the schematic in awhile I thought I might be forgetting something.

Love your signature line by the way... one hell of a palindrome (and cool Soundgarden reference as well).

Mason

MasonAtom said:
Love your signature line by the way... one hell of a palindrome (and cool Soundgarden reference as well).
Mason

Ha!  Awesome...I don't think I've ever met anyone that knows about S.O.M.M.S.!!!
I actually don't think I've ever even seen another copy of Badmotorfinger that's got it...

great project man, liking your logo too..  :)

if anything, you must be the first guy to use 22 SSLs on a project  ;D
seriously, do you really need 22 SSLs?

warpie said:

I think he built this for someone else, but I'd love to have it.. ;D..!... SOT... this build is just a testimony for the type of work RegularJohn does..! ( here's currently modding my DDA console..)..Since I don't quite have this DIY thing down yet,.. :-[..it's great to have a tech nearby with such skills....!..And a super nice guy to boot..!.. 8)

I think he built this for someone else
oops. missed that  ::)

but I'd love to have it
me too, no argue here  ;D

but i think 22 of these compressors in a mix, is a bit too much for my personal 'mixing' taste.

but it's so nice and solid construction, that is hard to resist...

warpie said:

This was built for a studio in Scotland (I'm in the US), and was designed to be inline channel compression for a console; much like many vintage high end analog consoles have built in channel compression.  I think the transparent nature of the GSSL makes it the perfect candidate for such an installation. 
Initially it was actually going to fit into a Tweed Audio console, by replacing a 3U non-working three panel meter bridge.  However after the studio's head engineer and I had gotten well into the design of this thing, the studio was offered a vintage ADT console, and so they sold the Tweed.  At that point we decided to simply make the compressor rack mount. 

Snatchman said:
I think he built this for someone else, but I'd love to have it.. ;D..!... SOT... this build is just a testimony for the type of work RegularJohn does..! ( here's currently modding my DDA console..)..Since I don't quite have this DIY thing down yet,.. :-[..it's great to have a tech nearby with such skills....!..And a super nice guy to boot..!.. 8)

Hi Snatchman!  You're too kind, my friend!  ;D

regularjohn said:
MasonAtom said:
Mason

Ha!  Awesome...I don't think I've ever met anyone that knows about S.O.M.M.S.!!!
I actually don't think I've ever even seen another copy of Badmotorfinger that's got it...

dude... seriously... Soundgarden covering both Sabbath AND Devo, what more could you ask for?

I actually have a standalone CD of S.O.M.M.S. My father makes his living selling record collectibles and he got me a promo copy of it before the  Badmotorfinger/S.O.M.M.S combo packs came out. I have a TON of promo soundgarden stuff with covers of everything from Cheech & Chong to Spinal Tap. They have a really extensive collection of B-sides.

Mason

MasonAtom said:
dude... seriously... Soundgarden covering both Sabbath AND Devo, what more could you ask for?
I actually have a standalone CD of S.O.M.M.S. My father makes his living selling record collectibles and he got me a promo copy of it before the  Badmotorfinger/S.O.M.M.S combo packs came out. I have a TON of promo soundgarden stuff with covers of everything from Cheech & Chong to Spinal Tap. They have a really extensive collection of B-sides.
Mason
Damn, that's awesome!  Yeah, I've got their covers of "Earache my Eye" and "Big Bottom" on the Louder Than Live vhs.  Dammit they were an awesome band in their early days!!!  As far as I'm concerned it doesn't get much better than "Beyond The Wheel" - great song and best guitar solo ever!

peter purpose said:
John,
How much was the effort worth?

I'd say it was worth it.
BTW, I'm a QOTSA fan...not actually named John.  No worries, happens all the time!

Latest posts

Back