23and(not)me

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nielsk said:
Preemptive incarceration based on genetic predisposition for crime anyone?

There will always be the nature/nurture debate. It seems to me the evidence demonstrates  the nurture factor is of far greater influence in criminal activity than any genetic predisposition.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
There will always be the nature/nurture debate. It seems to me the evidence demonstrates  the nurture factor is of far greater influence in criminal activity than any genetic predisposition.

Cheers

Ian
Not only that but the environment affects the expression of genes so even more complicated than the binary nature/nurture paradigm.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Not only that but the environment affects the expression of genes so even more complicated than the binary nature/nurture paradigm.

JR

Which environment are you referring to - the environment as in long term weather/pollution etc, or the home environment in which a child is brought up.

I do not see the nature/nurture debate as binary in any way - its is grey right the way through - or did you mean there are more than two factors?

Cheers

Ian

ruairioflaherty said:
It's just as well that no one is working to repeal ACA, right?
Yes, although I think the Republicans gave up on full repeal very quickly, and acknowledged the pre-existing condition rules were good (or too popular to overturn).
Having government representatives that are for consumer rights and reasonable government regulation is incredibly important at this time. Trump and the Republicans are doing everything they can to destroy regulations that protect consumers and the environment, while speaking in platitudes about the 'damaging' regulations to their gullible base. One of the first regulations Trump killed was a rule that coal companies couldn't dump waste in streams. And changes to the FCC is going to be terrible for consumers.
What's to say restaurants couldn't start sampling your DNA after you eat there? The list goes on for what private business could do without regulatory safeguards.

ruffrecords said:
Which environment are you referring to - the environment as in long term weather/pollution etc, or the home environment in which a child is brought up.
The environment in the womb and very local chemistry.  Was mama fat,skinny, drunk, drugged out?
I do not see the nature/nurture debate as binary in any way - its is grey right the way through - or did you mean there are more than two factors?

Cheers

Ian
Life is a simultaneous equation with many variables.

wiki said:
Several steps in the gene expression process may be modulated, including the transcription, RNA splicing, translation, and post-translational modification of a protein. Gene regulation gives the cell control over structure and function, and is the basis for cellular differentiation, morphogenesis and the versatility and adaptability of any organism. Gene regulation may also serve as a substrate for evolutionary change, since control of the timing, location, and amount of gene expression can have a profound effect on the functions (actions) of the gene in a cell or in a multicellular organism.

In short it's complicated.  8)

JR

I was at the doctor today and 30 seconds into our conversation the topic of my Irishness came up, he was telling me that he and his wife had done 23andme to learn about their ancestry.

ruairioflaherty said:
I was at the doctor today and 30 seconds into our conversation the topic of my Irishness came up, he was telling me that he and his wife had done 23andme to learn about their ancestry.

That's pretty funny.  What was your response?

No response from me!  It's not a conversation topic I'd explore with a stranger, too fraught.  In fact, I regret even bringing it up here.

I did find it funny though. 

In the past I've brought up controversial topics to strangers.  I really didn't see a problem with it,  nor minded if someone did it to me. There shouldn't be negative consequences to speaking your mind,  provided they are reasoned arguments.

But I've since realized most of society doesn't really work like that.

dmp said:
The Affordable Care Act  (obamacare) said health insurers could only deny or raise prices based ONLY on four factors, like age, smoking status, etc

I do not think that the law says that, or if it does it is illegal anyway.  It is really only age +/- 27(?), number of insured, group/individual, and total insured that determines price.  Everyone pays the same based on their personal insured quantity and insured group quantity.  I am part of a group of 35ish now and I pay $1600 for insured and spouse with HMO.  Life insurance definitely looks at how fat you are and if you smoke. 

But back OT, my laptop has had a nice little platform since Christmas, so the topic really caught my eye.  It is a 23andme box still filled that I got from my sister.  Ima not doin it.  I have the same concerns, and when you look at studies where the DNA of identical twins and triplets is returned with deviations from some of the companies, the purpose for buying is really inaccurate.  23and me looks like the best as far as consistency, but I agree with all the data concerns. 

I dine regularly with a friend at the infamous Cold Spring Harbor Laboratories and it is amazing what is being done in the DNA world both with AI meta-analysis and petrie dish.  Whenever I read articles about AI the main thrust is always "the size of the data set".  This crowd is hungry for any massive set of data- DNA, networked refrigerator usage, etc. to test their software and make conclusions.   

I am adopted, but my DNA curiosity did not get the best of me.  I settled on Germanic/Jute way back due to very early self-drawn affinities for oompah and sausages.  Adolescent preference for schlager and german girls with hairy armpits confirmed my non-scientific study.
Mike

ruairioflaherty said:
My doctor shows me pictures of her horse and her kids in that order.

JR

sodderboy said:
I am adopted, but my DNA curiosity did not get the best of me.  I settled on Germanic/Jute way back due to very early self-drawn affinities for oompah and sausages.  Adolescent preference for schlager and german girls with hairy armpits confirmed my non-scientific study.
Mike

Brilliant!

Cheers

Ian

Evidently the arrest of the 'Golden State Killer' this week was added by finding a relative of the suspect using DNA from one of the crime scenes by examining genetic profiles using online genealogy sites.

“23andMe was not involved in this case,” a spokesman for the company said. “Broadly speaking, it’s our policy to resist law-enforcement inquiries to protect customer privacy. 23andMe has never given customer information to law-enforcement officials.”

23andMe is only available to customers and “does not support the comparison of genetic data processed by any third party to genetic profiles within our database,” the spokesman said.

Another example of the double edged sword that is "cutting edge" technology... 

Improperly incarcerated individuals get set free by DNA evidence, and the occasional old bad guy gets caught.

Over time as more data feeds into the police DNA database more such secondary or tertiary connections (relatives) will be made.

Probably a good time to be innocent. (Always a good time to be innocent).  8)

JR

dmp said:
“Broadly speaking, it’s our policy to resist law-enforcement inquiries to protect customer privacy.
Didn't that used to be "...will never give out..."

23andMe has never given customer information to law-enforcement officials.”
So far. Good intentions, and all that. Wait until they get one of those secret court, secret judge, homeland security subpoenas.

Gene

Latest posts

Back