-24F at the airport

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fazer

-19 here in Elizabeth COLORADO. Gas is urgent $2.65/gal but who wants to go anywhere. Stay inside is my advice.

Having grown up in new england, I try not to comp0lain about cold weather now living in the deep south because it isn't that cold in comparison to up north...... BUT this morning at 9AM with outdoor temps around 15'F I lost power.... o_O It was just my neighborhood branch and they restored power within about an hour,(y) but my house got down to 60' indoors by then. My heat pump was already struggling to hold temperature.

All good now, keep warm and safe. The water dish I put out for the stray cats froze solid overnight.

JR

mid 20s (F) here and falling. Supposed to be 10F (-12C) by morning. The 30mph wind is rough. Gusts near 50mph this morning peeled a 10' piece of aluminum trim off of one high gable.

Today is trash collection day so I put out my garbage bin to the curb last night... Before too long I heard the wind blow it over. I dragged it back into my less exposed car port and put it out again this morning. Still a little (bitter cold) breezy, but not like last night. It's so cold that the butane in my lighter could barely make enough of a flame to ignite some dead branches on my burn pile. I grabbed a fresh lighter out of my relatively warmer laundry room and it made about a 1/2" flame at full tilt. I have a heated greenhouse in that unheated laundry room and last night it was down in the 40s. My house has warmed up to 64 degrees indoors now and my heat pump is still saying "I know I can, I know I can"...... but it isn't.

Be safe and careful everybody.

JR

PS: Imagine what those civilians in Ukraine are going through. :unsure:

It's 1 or 2 below 0F right now, but the wind is whistling in from Edmonton at 30+mph. Colder than hell, and we just had a few inches of powdery snot dropped on us too. Had to change out the battery in the wife's car last night. 10 minute job took 45 with warmups. It's actually very dangerous outside. Got my backup generator ready, because who knows??

Had a burst pipe today despite my efforts to insulate everything around the place. Thankfully was able to isolate without shutting off the whole house. Looking forward to milder temps later in the week.

Merry Christmas DIYers!

Had a burst pipe today despite my efforts to insulate everything around the place. Thankfully was able to isolate without shutting off the whole house. Looking forward to milder temps later in the week.
that sux... I've been lucky but several years ago I noticed that an outdoor faucet had frozen solid. Since then I use those foam insulating covers, I also wrapped some of that thermostatically controlled electrical heating tape around the cold water pipe inside my unheated laundry room leading to that outdoor faucet.

Just to keep water flowing in the plumbing I get up multiple times in the middle of the night to urinate and flush. ;)
Merry Christmas DIYers!
Yup, merry christmas in 3 minutes...

JR

that sux... I've been lucky but several years ago I noticed that an outdoor faucet had frozen solid. Since then I use those foam insulating covers, I also wrapped some of that thermostatically controlled electrical heating tape around the cold water pipe inside my unheated laundry room leading to that outdoor faucet.

Just to keep water flowing in the plumbing I get up multiple times in the middle of the night to urinate and flush. ;)

Yup, merry christmas in 3 minutes...

JR
I wrapped pool piping and put those foam covers on all spigots. It was a pipe in the wall of the pool house for a sink that popped. The isolation valve for that stuff is stuck (previous owner used crappy parts and I haven't had time to fix it). Will have to redo all of it when it warms up. More non-music DIY for the new year!

The joy of home ownership is near constant maintenance and repairs. PEX plumbing is supposed to be a little more tolerant of freezing.

Last week I helped my neighbor (who is older than me) caulking up leaks on his roof. I served as his ground crew and steadied the ladder when he climbed back down. I put a nice metal roof on my house years ago, and it will surely outlast me, no regrets.

JR

PS; If letting a faucet drip to prevent freezing, you don't need much flow... even a modest trickle over time can amount to a lot of water.

The joy of home ownership is near constant maintenance and repairs. PEX plumbing is supposed to be a little more tolerant of freezing.
Yep. I owned my home in CA for 22+ years. Over time I got it into a state where maintenance was minimized. This house was not built with that mindset. I am considering PEX for that very reason, but the fittings (including 90deg ELLs) are still brass.

Last week I helped my neighbor (who is older than me) caulking up leaks on his roof. I served as his ground crew and steadied the ladder when he climbed back down. I put a nice metal roof on my house years ago, and it will surely outlast me, no regrets.
Good on you for lending a hand. New roof will likely happen here in 2023.

JR

PS; If letting a faucet drip to prevent freezing, you don't need much flow... even a modest trickle over time can amount to a lot of water.

I'd prefer a cutoff and drainback valve to winterize it. We don't need water out there in the cold season. Having to remember to turn the drip on and off with the weather changes is a point of failure.

I hope you guys are staying warm. I can't complain a bit, here in Mexico City the temp is 59 F, but everyone acts like it is -200 F. Have a happy new year!

The weather has returned to pretty much normal (overnight in the 50s). It took a few days for my heat pump to heat up all the thermal mass inside my house.

All good now at least here in no where MS.

JR

Latest posts

Back