http://www.da-x.de?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="radiance"]I've a new AES16e card for sale if you're interested...(that's PCI express!! )[/quote]

OK, this is where I reveal what a digital bonehead I am. I just recently realized there was a PCI bus and a PCIe bus. I haven't checked, but I think I only have a PCI bus in my DAW dating from around spring 2004.

I assume PCIe doesn't fit in a PCI bus, right? A quick check revealed opinions that PCI is going away fast, but I don't feel like buying a new MB for the DAW I only use to play & records two tracks of audio, sometimes use a plug-in or two and burn the damned CD.

I would buy the card from you if it was PCI. I'm old, and I'm only 30. :razz:

EDIT: Yep, just checked and my MB only has PCI busses. What say you, would it be wise to upgrade? Am I going to be in trouble if my Asus A7N8X MB blows up 3 years from now and I have a Lynx PCI card?

[quote author="Viitalahde"]
OK, this is where I reveal what a digital bonehead I am. I just recently realized there was a PCI bus and a PCIe bus. I haven't checked, but I think I only have a PCI bus in my DAW dating from around spring 2004.
[/quote]

Well, talking about boneheads....I bought this card assuming it would fit my mac which has PCI-X slots. What I did not know was that PCI-X and express are two different things. But hey, I'm 36 ...that's really old right :wink: Now I'm stuck with a card I have no use for. I'm going for an ordinary AES16 as well, although it crossed my mind to upgrade my computer to benifit from the faster PCIe buss. This AES16e card has 6 times the processing power compared to the AES16 card you know....

EDIT: Yep, just checked and my MB only has PCI busses. What say you, would it be wise to upgrade? Am I going to be in trouble if my Asus A7N8X MB blows up 3 years from now and I have a Lynx PCI card?

Big, big trouble my friend :twisted: No, but seriously, todays motherboards still have 1 PCI slot amoung 3 PCIe slots. Within three years PCI slots will be gone for sure. However, there might still be a chance that you'll find an NOS "Asus A7N8X MB" in the year 2011 :wink:

[quote author="Viitalahde"]Am I going to be in trouble if my Asus A7N8X MB blows up 3 years from now[/quote]
Like that would ever happen:

mbcaps.jpg

That's my A7N8X, back in October last year. It was getting flaky, with processes exiting abnormally all over the place. Had to recap it, as I couldn't source any NOS N8Xes. That was No Fun At All. Running fine now, although I'm looking into buying something newer and faster for some work-related heavy simulations. Most boards that I've seen still have two or three PCI slots.

Asus boards are usually quite solid, and this one had been running 24/7 for four years. Still, nothing lasts forever.

JDB.
[posted about it before, but it has already been purged from the Brewery's (not-so-)long term memory]

Hi jako;
Look at audio addict in France they are cheapper on the lavry blue then 3k Euros.
ask Christian.
Cheers;
Bruno
audioaddict.fr I believe or google it.

Am I going to be in trouble if my Asus A7N8X MB blows up 3 years from now and I have a Lynx PCI card?

If finances permit, go with PCI Express. PCI is nearing the end of it's lifespan, and you can already find PCI-less motherboards on the market. I got burned that way when I upgraded my DAW, and I had to shell out for one of MOTU's PCIe-424 cards when my motherboard picked an inconvenient week to commit suicide. All the newer quad-core monster boards I was lusting after were PCI-less.

You *will* be able to find a motherboard with PCI three to five years from now, but your choices will be severely limited, since there are only one or two motherboard makers supporting the legacy market. Believe it or not, you can still buy a new motherboard with ISA slots if you need one (Thank you, Supermicro!).

Back