2D Drafting Software - Cheap or Free?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rochey

White Market Member
I have to send some drawings of an enclosure to a manufacturer.

I tried sending a google sketchup image, with dimentions all 'round, but thats not good enough. (grrr)

Can any of you suggest an old-school 2D drafting package that I could use instead?
Something easy, fast, simple to run on a pc (not bloated)?

Cheers
/R

Rochey said:
I have to send some drawings of an enclosure to a manufacturer.

I tried sending a google sketchup image, with dimentions all 'round, but thats not good enough. (grrr)

Can any of you suggest an old-school 2D drafting package that I could use instead?
Something easy, fast, simple to run on a pc (not bloated)?

Cheers
/R

Do you have any hand drawinsg or so?

I could help you.

Im a mechanical designer, so working with CAD is my daily business.

Otherwise, stuff like Autocad is good, megaCAD is cheap.

I you have any chance to get Solidworks or inventor, they are great too,and not too hard to learn

And if you could draw it in 3D that may help sometimes if you send the files to the manufactory.

Or try it with the frontpanel designer ;-)

regards

I've used DesignCAD for over 20 years, beginning back when it was a DOS product.  The current 2D version is $50:

http://www.imsidesign.com/Products/DesignCADSeries/DesignCADv22/tabid/1837/Default.aspx?gclid=CNOwhuqSxrICFWdxQgodOSwAtQ

Bri

I just really started doing CAD this last year, and for 2D I've been using QCad (about $40).  Does DXF files pretty much OK, and is quick to use with plenty of good features.  3D CAD is a whole 'nother story.  :eek:

TurboCAD Mac Designer gets my vote for 2D metalwork. $70 and very easy to use. I switched from Ashlar-Vellum Graphite ($1400) after tiring of updates. No regrets. The two are awfully similar.

Interestingly, TurboCAD and DesignCAD are now from the same company:

http://www.imsidesign.com/Products/AllProducts/tabid/520/Default.aspx

Bri

I have mentioned this before, I have both MAC and PC versions of 3D turbocad and they are clearly difference programs.  I suspect small fish get bought by bigger fish.

JR

IIRC, Imsi is the long-time seller (developer?) of TurboCAD.  DesignCAD was developed by a company called Upper Space which was located here in Oklahoma (Pryor, OK to be exact), and apparently they sold the product line to  Imsi several years ago.

Bri

Back