3U 19" Eurorack

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vitopower

Hi Groupdiy,

I scored a cheap 19" 3U Eurorack frame similar to the one in the pic and I'd like to use it for eq / preamps I have in various stages of completion.

Does anyone know where I might source the following:

-L-shaped panelling that would screw into faceplates to provide a base to mount PCBs and some isolation from the next circuit

-Thin metal sheets to complete the open faces of the enclosure and to use for the back / i/o jacks.

I only have a dremel and varibits for metalwork, so maybe I'm missing crucial tools for the job, but I don't know enough yet and could use some direction on what I'd need to make this work cheaply, if possible.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-09-24 at 2.49.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-09-24 at 2.49.23 AM.png
    559.3 KB · Views: 0
Hi Groupdiy,

I scored a cheap 19" 3U Eurorack frame similar to the one in the pic and I'd like to use it for eq / preamps I have in various stages of completion.

Does anyone know where I might source the following:

-L-shaped panelling that would screw into faceplates to provide a base to mount PCBs and some isolation from the next circuit

I suspect you mean the L shaped metal used in 500 series racks. Eurorack is not normally used that way. In the synth world, PCBs are mounted directly off the front panel. The front panel is screwed to the subrack and the PCB just hangs in the air. OK for small, light PCBs but not much use if you want to mount a big output transformer on the PCB. Professional Eurorack allows you to incorporate plastic card guides which provide proper support for the PCBs but it is not clear if the one you have allows this. So, after all that, you might be better off using the 500 series rack L-shaped metalwork. CAPI gear sells this
-Thin metal sheets to complete the open faces of the enclosure and to use for the back / i/o jacks.
For the rear panel you will need 2mm or 2.5mm aluminium. It is much easier to work than steel. For the top panel I would recommend 0.8mm mild steel. Again, depending on just which suback you have, some extrusions have built in slots to take steel cover plates like this.
I only have a dremel and varibits for metalwork, so maybe I'm missing crucial tools for the job, but I don't know enough yet and could use some direction on what I'd need to make this work cheaply, if possible.
I try to avoid metalwork as much as possible because I am not very good at it and now I am well past 70 years old the joints won't take it anymore. Fortunately for panels there are plenty of companies out there who can do the work for you and they can include all the labelling you want giving a very profesional result.

If you look at the home page of my website you will see three projects all of which use Eurorack:

https://www.customtubeconsoles.com/home

Cheers

Ian

Back