Custom Recording Console

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realmseeker

Hey Everyone,

I just finished building a console that I’d like to share with you all. The desk is a combination of Electrodyne, Quad Eight, Langevin and Altec. There are three separate power supplies for the desk that take care of the different voltages that each module requires. I built the console frame out of a mix hardwood walnut and walnut plywood. Metalwork was done by a local laser cutting shop here in Portland, OR. They did a fantastic job on the instrument panel which had blind holes tapped for mounting the graphic eq’s. A sub panel assembly was also fabricated to mount the Weston VU meters behind the panel. This panel style was inspired by the Altec 9200 console instrument panel.

The main desk is of classic late 60’s, early 70’s console design. All of the channels strips located on the left section of the desk are actually 19” racked units that I patch in and out of using a patchbay in a seperate rack. There is a combination of Quad Eight and Electrodyne modules as well as the Altec 9061a. In the middle portion of the desk is the Langevin Am3. This is currently being used as a summing mixer. The right master section is comprised of a passive program section that is completely patchable and an electrodyne master section panel that I am currently still working on. The passive panel includes 4 submaster attenuators that feed a pair of Western Electric 111c transformers, and a pair of Triad HS66 transformers. To the far right of the passive panel is Langevin high and low pass filters as well as patch points to the VU meters and graphic eq’s on the meter panel.

I’ve always wanted to design my own console and decided to bring a lot of gear that I have collected over the years into one space and I think it turned out quite nice. It helps that all of the brands at some point used rolo knobs!

Hope you enjoy the throwback brochure style pictures I put together :)

Thanks,
Bryan

Attachments

• BCA04448-539A-4906-81F8-3D52382F42BA.jpeg
    BCA04448-539A-4906-81F8-3D52382F42BA.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 27
  • C8CB870E-634E-4713-8B54-3EA94F804525.jpeg
    C8CB870E-634E-4713-8B54-3EA94F804525.jpeg
    509.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 2203CE03-6FAF-44FE-BBCD-BE1C3B5E28D3.jpeg
    2203CE03-6FAF-44FE-BBCD-BE1C3B5E28D3.jpeg
    435.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 227E5F79-7993-44F2-A325-8815DCBEEA30.jpeg
    227E5F79-7993-44F2-A325-8815DCBEEA30.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 16
Fan freakin tastic!!!! I too am in Portland Or...maybe I'll get to see/hear it sometime. Are you in a recognizable studio here ? Do you have projects with our fine music community ?

Hey Everyone,

I just finished building a console that I’d like to share with you all. The desk is a combination of Electrodyne, Quad Eight, Langevin and Altec. There are three separate power supplies for the desk that take care of the different voltages that each module requires. I built the console frame out of a mix hardwood walnut and walnut plywood. Metalwork was done by a local laser cutting shop here in Portland, OR. They did a fantastic job on the instrument panel which had blind holes tapped for mounting the graphic eq’s. A sub panel assembly was also fabricated to mount the Weston VU meters behind the panel. This panel style was inspired by the Altec 9200 console instrument panel.

The main desk is of classic late 60’s, early 70’s console design. All of the channels strips located on the left section of the desk are actually 19” racked units that I patch in and out of using a patchbay in a seperate rack. There is a combination of Quad Eight and Electrodyne modules as well as the Altec 9061a. In the middle portion of the desk is the Langevin Am3. This is currently being used as a summing mixer. The right master section is comprised of a passive program section that is completely patchable and an electrodyne master section panel that I am currently still working on. The passive panel includes 4 submaster attenuators that feed a pair of Western Electric 111c transformers, and a pair of Triad HS66 transformers. To the far right of the passive panel is Langevin high and low pass filters as well as patch points to the VU meters and graphic eq’s on the meter panel.

I’ve always wanted to design my own console and decided to bring a lot of gear that I have collected over the years into one space and I think it turned out quite nice. It helps that all of the brands at some point used rolo knobs!

Hope you enjoy the throwback brochure style pictures I put together :)

Thanks,
Bryan
Very cool! Now you need to capture some great music on it...

When I read about building a console, it brings back memories of the time when I built my own mixer in 1975.
At that time there was virtually nothing for sale that was affordable.
So the only option was to build something myself.
At the time I was 21 and it was quite advanced for 1975, with equalizers on every channel and reverb sends.
It turned out that the quality was so good that even gramophone records were recorded with it!

70's_mixer.jpg

Here’s my retro consolette in progress: Shallco step attenuators and modern circuitry. A peon to the RCA 76 board in my first job in radio.
Some close up photos would be cool (y)
When I read about building a console, it brings back memories of the time when I built my own mixer in 1975.
Dang Ruud, your DIY console (and the rest as well) looks really professional! Impressive work (y)

At that time there was virtually nothing for sale that was affordable.
So the only option was to build something myself.
At the time I was 21 and it was quite advanced for 1975, with equalizers on every channel and reverb sends.
It turned out that the quality was so good that even gramophone records were recorded with it!

View attachment 117985

Looks Beautiful Ruud,
and building it when you were only 21 makes it really impressive.
Do you still have it or know it's whereabouts?

By the way where were the speakers?

Latest posts

Back