48v phantom circuit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okgb

The SSL wasn't working for me but i found this straight forward design
, does the job

http://members.aol.com/ecc81/ps48.html

This is a simple 48 V regulated linear power supply design that will provide up to 60 mA of current. This circuit is based on the Texas Instruments TL783C high voltage adjustable linear regulator IC, because this device will provide short circuit protection for an input to output differential voltage of up to 125 V. An LM317T can also be used in this circuit, but a short on the output will destroy the regulator IC. Protective diodes are included in this design to provide a discharge path around the regulator in case of an accidental reverse bias condition.

Capacitors C1 - C4 are used to filter the unregulated voltage. Multiple capacitors in parallel, as shown, will help to reduce the overall ESR of the filter section, but a single large value capacitor can also be used. Since the TL783C needs to pass a minimum of 15 mA to maintain regulation, R1 should be 82 Ohms, and R3 must be have a power rating of at least 1 Watt. The internal reference voltage of the regulator IC can vary in range of 1.2 V to 1.3 V from one device to the next. Given this range of reference voltage variation, the combined value of R2 + R3 can range from 2950 Ohms to 3200 Ohms. Assigning a standard value of 2.7K Ohms to R3 and making R2 a 1K Ohm trimmer potentiometer permits precise adjustment of the desired output voltage of 48 Volts.

A power transformer with a 6 VA power rating and a 40 V secondary voltage has been selected to minimize the physical size of the power supply, and to minimize the amount of power dissipated by the regulator IC, thus requiring little or no heatsink. Operating at 15 mA, the unregulated voltage reaches approximately 70 V, and the regulator dissipates 0.33 W. When this circuit is operating at its full capacity of 60 mA, the regulator dissipates less than 0.75 W, which is safely below the device's free air dissipation rating.

The one problem with running the adjust circuit at 15mA is that it requires at least a 1W resistor, and that resistor will heat up a good deal as the current passes through it, which will change the value and therefore the output voltage.

That's why, when I designed the Tri-Way power supply, I included space for a load resistor. Select that for 15mA and run the adjust circuit at low current. That way you can use nice 1/4W 1% metal films, and get accurate voltage setting and less drift. The load resistor will dissipate 0.72W, so it should be a 1W or preferably 2W resistor, but when it heats up it won't alter the output voltage.

By the way, audioXpress has accepted the Tri-Way article, but hasn't told me a publication date, so no word yet on when I'll be accepting orders for boards. The article will be published in two parts, which means I'll be sending the order in a bit after the second part comes out. Sorry it's taking so long!

Peace,
Paul

Latest posts

Back