500 Card Edge in KiCad?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a PCB expert but 2mm trace width is for lots of amps. Like 4A or so....

Any mechanical thru holes on the board for switches are pots make them as big as possible for better durability. ENIG surface finish the card edge connector if possible if it will be removed and inserted repeatedly for durability compared to HASL finish.
Thanks a lot for your Template !!! and all infos
here is what i got.... it was something really complex for my level, never had a shape limit
now i have to optimize tracks, T junctions and other messy routing.... ledMeter for GR will be wired straight to front panel, couldn t do better
hope it works i only simulated the single parts of my idea
anyway it was a cool experience and funny time
best

Attachments

• TOP_500x.png
    TOP_500x.png
    448.5 KB · Views: 1
  • B_500x.png
    B_500x.png
    171.8 KB · Views: 1
ENIG is not suitable for the edge connector, needs to be hard gold for multiple insertion durability. This can also add significant cost to the PCBs.

ENIG is not suitable for the edge connector, needs to be hard gold for multiple insertion durability. This can also add significant cost to the PCBs.
that s what i read... anyway it s for my personal use and fun ... so i will go for the cheapest manufacturing on JLCPCB
i can t self etching a dual sides like that
best

Thanks a lot for your Template !!! and all infos
here is what i got.... it was something really complex for my level, never had a shape limit
now i have to optimize tracks, T junctions and other messy routing.... ledMeter for GR will be wired straight to front panel, couldn t do better
hope it works i only simulated the single parts of my idea
anyway it was a cool experience and funny time
best

I believe you use way too thin trace for your audio ground but as I said I'm not an expert.

Using the kicad 500x template what i found Is that Goldfinger Is not properly on axis with edac connector!
This picture Is from a real Api lunch box ... Only 6 pins can be alligned to the connector...
My self etched pcb Is not the state of the art but enough to verify....
I was lucky to find a friend of mine who gave me his Api box for testing... Now i can measure that box...
Anybody had the same problem?
Thanks for attention

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-05-03-14-48-04-485_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-03-14-48-04-485_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
This edac Goldfinger footprint as a spacing of 3.96mm from center of each pin ... The finger width Is 2mm
This lunch box connector Is 4mm and the finger width looks 2.4mm
That s why the footprint not match...
The box model is Api 6B...
Is this a model with a different connector and so different Pin outs?

EDIT_ so sorry!!! a big mistake of mine... printer was set to autoscale at 91%
so both pcb and paper were wrong sized

now everything s fine the template is just Perfect
also checked pinOut on the box with a DMM..ok

i believe i developped about 3 pcbs with that printer scale:ROFLMAO:

😬

Attachments

• IMG_20230503_165217.jpg
    IMG_20230503_165217.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yes, I agree. ENIG is not suitable for the edge gold fingers. Usually, it is plating thick gold for the fingers for durability.

Latest posts

Back