500 series blank breadboard pcb?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karloff70

GDIY Supporter
Hi chaps and ladies,

An idea struck me just now, so needed to see if anyone has done this yet. What if you had a 500 series size 'pcb', with the connector strip at the back and fastening holes for front panels at the front, but the rest just holes, like a breadboard, for throughole components, so one can do whatever on there, point to point? Would make doing some simpIe stuff so much easier than potting everything in a 19" rack just to power and house it....

Does this exists, and if not, why not? Anyone already doing 500 series pcb's into doing it? I sure would buy 4 straight away to have a play with some pre ideas......

There was something like this here years ago and also recall a commercial company having something available.

The issue becomes you still need a metal bracket or way to mount the pcb. And then everyone wants different parts at the front end, what switches and pots will be used, the locations and pin spacings will all be different and may not fit on a standard grid. The solution I came up with was to make a bunch of edge connector pcbs. Then it's easy and cheap to make rectangular main boards.

Your original idea is doable though and I'm sure someone would take it up given enough interest.

There was something like this here years ago and also recall a commercial company having something available.

The issue becomes you still need a metal bracket or way to mount the pcb. And then everyone wants different parts at the front end, what switches and pots will be used, the locations and pin spacings will all be different and may not fit on a standard grid. The solution I came up with was to make a bunch of edge connector pcbs. Then it's easy and cheap to make rectangular main boards.

Your original idea is doable though and I'm sure someone would take it up given enough interest.
Yes, I was thinking those issues too, and am tempted to buy the cheapest 500 pcbs I can see and cut the connector part off and combine with a breadboard somehow. Not as neat though.

colin/AML used to sell something like this (a really nice plated-through perf board with edge connector)
silent:arts used to sell something like this too (a nice gold plated card edge for breaking out)
IDT either still does, it might be too DIY not to DIY
might want to post in Blk Mrkt; wanted

colin/AML used to sell something like this (a really nice plated-through perf board with edge connector)
silent:arts used to sell something like this too (a nice gold plated card edge for breaking out)
IDT either still does, it might be too DIY not to DIY
might want to post in Blk Mrkt; wanted
Oh wow, yes, CoIin stiII does seII them, and so does VoIker seII the adapters it seems. SuddenIy there are even choices. :) Here come the preamp buiIds.....

Back