500 series EQ suggestions!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonsaimaster

I am putting together a 11 space 500 series rack and want to fill with EQ's. Help is needed. I am recording rock music and will be mixing with these EQs. I currently have the following:

AML 1073 - I use as a preamp and EQ
Drip Electronics Pultec EQP-1
Studer 169 without transformer 5534 op amps
Studer 169 with transformer 5534 op amps
REDD EQ - dual mono
NITE EQ 500 Series (not working yet)

Possible options
Classic API LC53A
Classic API 553F
HE69 EQ
TB Audio TB550A
Studer 169
Five Fish PEQ-503
Lindell PEX-500
TB Audio TB550A
Studer 169
others

By no means a complete list or in any order. Suggestions and advice are always welcome. If you can give information about each EQ you would suggest and why?

Example Format for responses
Brand: EQ X
Type: Surgical, colorful, neutral
Subjective: warm, harsh,
Best used for: Kick drum and Bass DI
Sounds like or a clone of: Pultec, neve 1084, API 550, Trident EQ
Why I like it: It gives me a woody
Other comments:

Thanks in advance
Bonsaimaster

Brand: HE69
Type: ?
Subjective: ?
Best used for:?
Sounds like or a clone of: Helios type 69
Why I like it:
Other comments:

Can you give some more details. I have not used that EQ.

Great idea!

Brand: Drip electronics pultec
Type: Colorful, very colorful
Subjective: warm big and bold seems like it breathes
Best used for: Bass DI (the bomb) and kick drum
Sounds like or a clone of: I have all the Pultec plugins and NONE of them sound this good. Never had a real pultec to compare
Why I like it: Makes the bass come alive
Other comments: Will never leave my rack. The best EQ for bass.

Brand: AML 1073
Type: Surgical and slightly Colorful
Subjective: warm
Best used for: Guitars and vocals
Sounds like or a clone of: Never had a real neve
Why I like it: Can really dial in the exact frequency and modify it
Other comments: Very well built love the fact that there is a preamp and EQ and can use them both separately

Brand: Studer 169 with and without transformer 5534 op amps
Type: Clean
Subjective: Has a real bite to the frequencies I would say harsh but in a good way edgy
Best used for: Have only used them on guitars
Sounds like or a clone of: Studer but I have never used a real one
Why I like it: I like the ability to get edgy solo guitars
Other comments: Very inexpensive and easy to build. Did not like the 2520 op amps - too smooth but liked the 5534's better

Brand: REDD EQ Dual mono poor mans
Type: Clean and colorful possible master EQ
Subjective: just finished this one so not much use with it
Best used for: Not sure yet
Sounds like or a clone of: REDD EQ tried it against the plugin. Much much warmer and more real
Why I like it: Fun build
Other comments: Ian was a great help and never made me feel stupid even with the easiest questions.

Brand: Nite EQ 500
Best used for: ?
Sounds like or a clone of: ?
Why I like it: ?
Other comments: Have not got it to work yet. Documentation could be better. Will add comments once up and running

Bonsaimaster said:
Best used for:?
Why I like it:
Other comments:

Can you give some more details. I have not used that EQ.

Im sure if you google Helios 69, you will get all the superlatives you want about it.
It's a passive EQ. It's best used for music, but I've also heard it being used on noise.

I couldn't tell you why I like it over other EQ's as I only own that EQ and some others of my own design, which have all had varying degrees of success and completion...

Subjectively, it sounds like the silky yet meaty caress of a loving lynx firmly sculpting your stunted sound shapes into something approaching an aural orgasm.

Is this a good summary?

Type: Surgical
Subjective: Subjectively, it sounds like the silky yet meaty caress of a loving lynx firmly sculpting your stunted sound shapes into something approaching an aural orgasm.
Best used for: Overall Mix
Why I like it:I couldn't tell you why I like it over other EQ's as I only own that EQ and some others of my own design, which have all had varying degrees of success and completion...
Other comments:

Of course I am biased but the Analog Allstars EQP-1S5 stands above in the land of Pultecs. I have many clients with access and experience with all of the finest EQs ever made and choose to use it on every project!

nielsk said:
Of course I am biased but the Analog Allstars EQP-1S5 stands above in the land of Pultecs. I have many clients with access and experience with all of the finest EQs ever made and choose to use it on every project!

where do you use it? single stems, busses? i have this eq but have not found a real access to this modul. perhaps im not used to a pultec style eq....

Think of it as a " conditioner " of sorts , It's NOT as versatile as a parametric but it's adds a quality
where you can use those freq's & boosts where you may not on another eq.
I like to think of it as the " Ribbon mic " of eq's seems to add " size " IMO

Search Pultec uses / tricks

Anywhere you need a non- harsh boost
or the boost & cut low freq trick on kicks or basses

Give consideration to mine.

Kit info.

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=52444.0

Build thread. Udo now has a full rack of it.

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=53044.0
Kit info.

Thanks for the helpful words, OKGB, correct on all accounts.
Not a "surgical" tool for fixing problems, rather a "tone" control for making things better.
As the name implies, the Pultec "P" eq was designed as a program EQ, to sweeten an entire "program" or mix.
Very useful for adding some sparkle and oomph in this regard, whether on stems, sub-mixes, or final mix.
That being said, there is  world to be found in the "cut & boost" that is unique, part of the reason why they are great on kick, snare & bass while tracking.
There are no "rights and wrongs" in music production, but for those who have a clear vision of the final product, getting it right when tracking is a great way to go.
Clients are using these when cutting tracks, and not having to do any further processing on it's way to being a hit record.

nielsk said:

I have these and the Drip pultecs.  They are wonderful.  The Analog Allstars is a solid state version and rules on a lot of stuff.  I think if you like the Drip you will like the solid state version of the pultecs as well.  Plus they have a number of more frequencies that are very handy.

I use mine on a lot of solo instruments.  Like guitars and mandolin's.  I also like it on vocals.  They get used a lot during mix time.  I have used them on Mix buss and on other busses.  I like that it is different then my Drips (The best DIY eq I have used).  I don't want to use the Drips on every things.  They impart a special sound that is only special if its on a few things.  So when I want the pultec curves (which is often) I can use these.  I have Red Dots in mine. 

I have a bunch of other eq's as well.  But I also see I need to try some new ones that are out. 

Back