+6 db increase vs 10x gain...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thnaks guys for all the tips.  I will put a compressor on the output of the QU-16.  I got one of these which will give more flexibility with the gain staging-both on input and output. 

Big confusion relates to dBm, which is dB related to 1mW. Trouble is you need to know the impedance to work out what 1dBm is in volts (or mV or uV). I was once working in radio and added the input dBm to the dB of each stage to arrive at the final signal. Right? Nope! Wrong! The input signal was specified in dBm relative to 50 ohms and the audio out was in dBm relative to 600 ohms. Aaaarrrggghhhh!

I think it's safe to assume he is working with a voltage transfer system and not a power transfer system. dBu or dBV.

The send on the mixer could act as the  input gain for the compressor. As long as there is Threshold control and Output Level control a little fiddling around should find the sweet spot.

Got the new module installed today.  It works great!  I even just plugged a guitar right in and was wiggling away on the guitar right inside the modular.  Fun times! 

Latest posts

Back