9622/E88CC Microphone Preamplifier preferably w/ Line Output Stage?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinw33

Hello reader,

I read here in the forum somewhere that 9622/E88CC tubes sound better to consumers than 12AX7 or 5751 tubes.

Which are the only tubes I currently own and use for audio-recording, as a starved plate XLR preamp/line stage, and am definitely looking for an upgrade. DIY.

So my Question is this,

is there a worthy DIY 9622/E88CC project/schematic as a XLR Microphone Preamplifier?
Or a best one or a sweet one?
I do wonder about the power of the output stage tho. Probably not so powerfull?

Has anybody tried this here?

I mean if 9622 sound better, then I see no point in DIY'ing a 12ax7/12AU7 Microphone Preamp.

What do you think?

I think, if you build something, I think it should be worth it, because nobody has time anymore nowadays.

There is a somewhat documented build online that I found, and schematic that uses ECC88 but those are inferior to E88CC/9622, but should be replaceable by it,

but the biggest no-go and low-grade aspect in the schematic was, not bashing, he used a smps for the Anode supply voltages. I would go for a regulated supply.

But still have to finish two other ssl XLR Mic Preamps, and only then would I attempt this.

I have two 2RU cases, and two 3RU cases, they should be filled with something that works and sounds sweet.

I can try to post the schematic in question later, but want to see whether others have had luck with 9622 for mic preamps and the output stage would be very interesting to me too.

Thanks.

Nothing wrong with a half a 12AX7 as the first stage of a mic pre. Plenty of gain and good noise performance. Combine it with an ECC88 SRPP output stage and you can easily drive +20dBu into a 600 ohm load.

Cheers

Ian

Nothing wrong with a half a 12AX7 as the first stage of a mic pre. Plenty of gain and good noise performance. Combine it with an ECC88 SRPP output stage and you can easily drive +20dBu into a 600 ohm load.

Cheers

Ian
OK, interesting, I am still doubtful about the THD it would have, running a 600 ohm load, but that is probably because of lack of tube experience and not ever having had a gain stepped 2 tube design.

OK, interesting, I am still doubtful about the THD it would have, running a 600 ohm load, but that is probably because of lack of tube experience and not ever having had a gain stepped 2 tube design.
It doesn't have to work into a 600 ohm load but it will, At lighter loads the distortion will be lower still.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back