9k high noise floor problem.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGuitarist

I've got a quad 9k preamp going and one of the channels has a high hiss noise floor compared to all the other channels.
I've tried swapping out every ic and cant see anything wrong.

Anyone have any ideas?

TheGuitarist said:
sure does! And its there with or without mics plugged in.

OK, that means it is the front end circuit is the source of the noise. I don't have a circuit to hand but I would suggest you try disconnecting the phantom power and see if that makes any difference.

Cheers

Ian

gemini86 said:
In this circuit one half of the gain pot ties in further down the stream, worth mentioning.

Yes, I just found a schematic. Bloody complicated it is too. Don't have my head around it just yet. Give me nice simple tubes any day.

Cheers

Ian

Double check resistor values and connections.....especially around that dual gang gain stage !
If 3 are ok....should'nt be that hard to find .

s2udio said:
Double check resistor values and connections.....especially around that dual gang gain stage !
If 3 are ok....should'nt be that hard to find .

You could also measure the gain and check it ties up with what is expected - that often reveals a lot about what is wrong.

Cheers

Ian

Have you made any discoveries, based on the recommendations yet? 

TheGuitarist said:
I've got a quad 9k preamp going and one of the channels has a high hiss noise floor compared to all the other channels.
I've tried swapping out every ic and cant see anything wrong.

Anyone have any ideas?

Latest posts

Back