A*P*I DOA question...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember talking with you at a trade show (last century) when you first started messing with SMD op amps.

Seems like just yesterday, but it was decades ago.

JR
It was... You have always been smarter than I, you're retired and I'm still doing this crazy stuff, dumb enough to actually have my own pick and place machine...

Four/five years ago I bought a couple Sparkos Labs SS 2590 op amps and compared them to the many DIY op amps I had built and pretty much everything that DIYRE and CAPI was selling at the time (the CA-0252 wasn't available then), along with a couple 990s - one was a JH and the other an mnats DIY. After many, many listening test using acoustic guitar, acoustic bass and vocals, (Jensen preamp topology for the 990s and API topology for all the others) I ended up preferring the SS 2590s over all the others in both preamp types. These things just sounded the best to me, especially with Jensen input transformers.

Second place in the API preamp was the Whistlerock 2520, which is pretty much identical to the Gar2520 except it uses a current source on the first differential pair whereas the Gar does not.

On another note, I was shocked when I heard the GarOA10 - the high end was fairly flat and plain, but the low end was to die for. You definitely need to have at least one or two of these on hand!

Anyway, just MHO.

It was... You have always been smarter than I, you're retired and I'm still doing this crazy stuff, dumb enough to actually have my own pick and place machine...
I saw this online a few minutes ago and it made me think of YOU!!!

1675283466309.png
NOTE: Do you remember "the guy" who introduced you to PANASONIC Micro-electronics to have your first Surface-Mount modules produced??? I'm still here!!!

/

Latest posts

Back