A replacement omni capsule that would fit a Behringer B-5?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt milton

Just picked up a Behringer B-5 in a local secondhand shop for a tenner. Unfortunately it only has the cardioid capsule, not the omni one. Which is a shame, because it's the omni capsule I'm interested in - I already have one B-5 and know that it is a perfectly decent room mic or acoustic instrument mic.

Is there a cheap omni capsule out there I could buy (eg from eBay) that I could just screw into the B-5, and could expect it to work?

Quick fix - tape over the vents?
ha! I've never tried that with a cardioid mic before. Maybe I'll do a test comparison recording: B5 in omni versus B5 in "taped-up omni" to hear whether there's any difference. I'd be interested to know whether closing up the vents achieves the same lack of proximity effect you get from an omni mic.

Sure, the resulting chamber left behind the capsule in the taped-up version may or may not affect the frequency response, but the comparison with the bespoke omni capsule should reveal that.

Back