About $200 per resistor?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why does someone always think collectables pricing is a joke? How many times have I mentioned original plastic Star Wars figurines? Are any of those over $10K yet? I think they made a few more of them than this thing.

The schematic & pic were fun thanks
check this 741 fuzz box & price

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270281825817&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

Ask whatever you want and if someone thinks it's worth it
[ different from someone convincing them they should get it ]

Now the not collectable boutique overdrive boxes , that gets me
people don't want to pay me 30.00 to mod their boxes but would
rather pay 6x that to buy into something

I guess I'm that "SOMEONE."
Maybe it's cause I'm angry that I used all my original Star Wars toys instead of saving them in their original boxes.
I actually had the Boba Fett that one you could get only get after saving and mailing your cereal box tops...hate to see what that's worth.
All that aside I still find it asinine to pay over 2 grand for a sam ash fuzz(z) box.
"It's a nice car...a nice red car....a nice red car with a stereo!"

There's a someone every time one of these things comes up. I'm not really singling you out.

The thing that still gets me is that truly rare stuff sells for less than supposedly rare mass marketed commodities, like toys. Why on earth would an ounce of plastic from the 1970's sell for vastly more than a restored tube limiter or console from the 1930's? Demand.

I think that there are many aspects of all collectible markets that are a little asinine, whether it's Star-Wars figurines, Tiffany lamps, or fuzz boxes. Isn't there some point where a price crosses over to the "asinine" region for a given object for nearly everyone? Wouldn't $2,000,000 for Croationsensation's Boba Fett seem well past this point for everyone here? Couldn't that money be spent more wisely, in stead of being used for an individual's quest for their personal Rosebud? The pricing of this fuzzz pedal is well past this point for me, and probably for everyone here. Wouldn't $50,000 make it asinine for everyone (ignoring the potential ROI as an investment)?

To be fair, last year I spent $8500 on a mint condition '61 ES-175. I realize that this would seem ridiculous to some here, and I'm OK with that. Everyone has their own tipping point. Someone could make the argument that I could have gotten a 2004 ES-175 for $2500 and donated $6000 to charity. They would be making a good point frankly. I'm not claiming that I am not a hypocrite. :green: On the other hand, I can't ignore ROI in my decision, and I could probably make a good argument for some elevated intrinsic value on the basis of "they don't make 'em like they used to". I wouldn't blame someone for spending $2700 on this pedal if they thought it would be worth $3200 next year. But that wouldn't stop me from thinking that $2700 is a ridiculous price. I will also concede that ignoring ROI, $8500 was too much money for my ES-175. I could probably get a better custom jazzbox built by one of our forum members for the same price.

There is a good book I read in college, called "Money Mischief" by the economist Milton Friedman. In the book, it tells a story of 12ft stone coins used by Micronesian Yap islanders for currency. Originally, the stones were rolled from house to house when payments were made. Later, it was determined that it would be easier to leave the coins were they were and just reassign ownership. Finally, due to seismic activity, the coastal village where the coins were located sunk into the sea, with no hope of every reclaiming the coins. Wealthy families still retained "ownership" of these sunken coins and used such ownership to retain their status among the other islanders. While this story was used as an allegory for modern fiat economics, I think it also serves well to illuminate some of the foibles of the collectible markets, where items are not priced on intrinsic value, but rather are worth an arbitrary value that a small group of people assign to them.

I agree with both of you guys!
I'd be more willing to pay a higher price for an old tube console or an old Gibson than a plastic doll/fuzz pedal.

All things considered I still wish I had saved that stupid Boba Fett figure just so I could sell it to some poor schmuck for a King's ransom!
:grin:
A few years ago my sister found an old Darth Vader doll of mine, one of the big old GI Joe sized ones. She asked me if I thought it was worth something... the problem was that he was missing an arm.
God knows where that sucker ended up!
The story about yap islanders is interesting... with the way things are going we might be better off trading rocks!

it's what makes ebay work , that you only need one assinine

and i gotta say if someone in clear consiousnes wanted to give
me a bag of money for something i got for nothing
[ one difference being whether we paid allot for it or not ]
i'd take it , i could use more money , i want more money

For friends or people i know aren't resellers i may pass things along
for what i paid to clean up my place

I've sold altec stuff in the past for what for thought was a nice price
but didn't worry about seeing it 2 years later for twice the amount
[ comps , graph eq's ]

It is a good point about putting some of the money aside
[ retirement savings , or i'll never buy something for myself
without getting something for my kids at the same time ]
a % percent to charity , somehow regardless you have to live
with yourself , but i'm off topic .

Selling magic , that's imoral but collectables ?
what do some people paid for steaks & champaigne
o.k. we burn down all the banks & redistribute the wealth
sorry got off again .

What's the answer

p.s. i'll give ya 4 rocks [sorry no diamonds ] for any comp you have
oh man i meant 200 , but i can go as high as 2,000

FWIW some people like that effect the problem is the first stage transistor, you might/will have to adjust the 3.3meg: however this affects the gain of the first stage because the feedback/bias 3.3meg works with the input impedance before it setting the gain.

I buy a lot of large lots (call it wholesale) and end up reselling a lot of it. Much of the old audio gear I make a decent profit on will likely sell for twice as much a year later. Some vintage audio has been appreciating at greater than 100% a year for many years; when do you hold and when do you sell? Collectables do not follow normal economic models. They can be nearly worthless the day after a bad event (bailout, anyone?).

Talking about overpriced stuff.... I'm curious what those ZVEX-pedals will be fetching then in 40 years time.... they are already asking $50/resistor new, today :twisted:

I mean, I recently saw the Moolly Wammoth bass-fuzz schematic. It's a two BJT thing IIRC, it sounds like most other fuzzes (YMMV) and stores here are asking EU339 (was 399) :shock:

I watched a "narrow box" version of an ibanez TS808 go to £480 about 4 years ago.
I thought that was pretty "sick" and it left me wishing that I had bought a few
dozen of them in 1982 !!
All the early Fender guitars were put together by unskilled mexican women, but for
some reason they are the ones that people will pay £25,000 for :shock:

Horses for courses.

MM.

[quote author="sodderboy"]for $25M you will have to settle for some animal floating in a large pickle jar..[/quote]

Well...for me...that depends upon what type of creature is floating in the pickle jar!

:grin:

OTOH, if you compare the instrument stomp box model to the children's battery powered noise maker model, the stomp boxes should all sell new for the same $9.99 they bring in every dept store. Unless the toy makers are being robbed. Half of the toy products do far more than the stompboxes.

Latest posts

Back