absolutely rediculous

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scenaria

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23792&item=3747329581&rd=1

I like the part about not labeling the panels as to keeping things to a minimum.. making it appear more professional

how about.. your too cheap to get some panels silk screened soo you opted to not label it at all!!!

the freq response being flat to 10Mhz is rather interesting... just wondering what "flat" means....

haha I wonder how the years of performance was calculated...

"ALL amplifiers feature ruler flat frequency response from approximately 1.6 HZ to about 36KHZ (maximum gains) with a slightly variable HF bandwidth increase as gain is actively decreased to unity or below ( flat to 60KHz at unity). "

blah!

ELECTRICAL SPECIFICATIONS FOR HOUSE IC USED IN "MIC-ALL" Modules
Frequency response, (as-is, un-compensated, unity gain, .777 V RMS input ) ... flat to 10 MHZ
Input Noise Voltage at 1KHZ - less than 4 nanovolts per stage
Typical Supply current - 11 mA (maximum- at full gain- full load)
THD at unity gain, per inverter stage less than .0002%
Slew Rate 12 V/uS
Maximum Supply Voltage + 48 volts
Lifespan- unknown - absolute minimum expected performance ...
under less than ideal thermal conditions - 20 years ...
Typical expected performance under average operating conditions - 100 plus years ...
Theoretical performance under ideal conditions - 1,000 years!

this is total bullshit...

I love the part about "no servicable parts inside" and the warrenty being voided if opened... interpretation: we have a crappy design made up of crappy parts in the box and we dont want you seeing it!

The rack cabinet itself is made from hand sculptured SOLID OAK, natural wood. As of spring 2001, we have opted for lustrous, hard penetrating oil finishes for the cabinetry as this provides added protection for the wood and, unlike other oil finishes, it is relatively maintenance free. Simply wipe it with a soft dry cloth to restore lustre. The front and rear panels are treated with extra coatings of acrylics for added protection.

WG Models are entirely made of wood! The front panel as well as the rest of the cabinet are ALL solid oak (unless other exotic woods have been utilized by client arrangement/preferance). Like all natural things, every piece of wood has its own, distinct character and "personality". This makes EACH AND EVERY "WG" model unique unto itself which enhances the aesthetic value of the piece and the actual appreciative monetary value as well!

Keep in mind that as part of this wood "character" it is impossible to find/utilize a "PERFECT" piece of wood. This means there may be slight imperfections, or variations, in terms of grain pattern, color uniformity, and skew. However, any such natural variations in our selected pieces are very minor and are the very thing that gives wood its charm and "character" appeal!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are NO user servicable parts inside. DaviSound Tool Boxes are fashioned from our "Master Pieces" modules which employ hand-laid circuitry, silicon embedded into plastic cased modules. In the unlikely event that service should ever be required, simply contact us for return authorization and we will replace the defective module(s).

While never having been enforced, it has always been original DaviSound policy to void warranties if the cover is removed! However, certainly be advised that ANY internal tampering or unauthorized repair or modification attempts void all warranties!

DaviSound products are carefully assembled BY HAND, one piece at a time from start to finish, in prototype assembly fashion, with extreme care and attention. They are designed to perform from now on with no trouble.

However, there are always "real world" imperfections that can not be anticipated or accounted for no matter HOW careful one might be in fabrication. For example, we don't make the ICs and we don't wind the power transformers and these things can fail at times. Ours seldom do, due to extensive testing and pre shipment "burn-in" periods, but if you should ever have a problem, you are protected for as long as you own the equipment, as the original owner

I'll bet he's buying cheap pre's from someone... dumping em in epoxy and putting em in the box. as in $100 worth of parts

nah ... not greens
The DaviSound TB-6 is a package of "Mic-All" Microphone preamplifiers incorporating the custom DS House IC Op Amp in a special transformerless, differential configuration.
what is the cheapest IC you can think off ?

sorry DaviSound
just having some fun.

[quote author="Scenaria"]this is total bullshit...

The rack cabinet itself is made from hand sculptured SOLID OAK, natural wood. As of spring 2001, we have opted for lustrous, hard penetrating oil finishes for the cabinetry as this provides added protection for the wood and, unlike other oil finishes, it is relatively maintenance free. Simply wipe it with a soft dry cloth to restore lustre. The front and rear panels are treated with extra coatings of acrylics for added protection.

WG Models are entirely made of wood! The front panel as well as the rest of the cabinet are ALL solid oak (unless other exotic woods have been utilized by client arrangement/preferance). Like all natural things, every piece of wood has its own, distinct character and "personality". This makes EACH AND EVERY "WG" model unique unto itself which enhances the aesthetic value of the piece and the actual appreciative monetary value as well!
[/quote]

No, without these:

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NOB_C37_C&Category_Code=VOLUME&Product_Count=2

and this:

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=C37_35C_2OZ&Category_Code=C37&Product_Count=5

it is not worth it :grin:

Hmmm,... all wooden case..... how 'bout noises?

well, I have a friend who's opinion I trust quite a bit who is in love with his davisound gear. Based on that alone, I would listen before I slung shit at the product. It might be crap, but it might be good too, there are certainly enough user out there in love with those boxes to think otherwise.

dave

not questioning the sound... but I am questioning the factual specs that are provided... seems a little off tilt..

Here's the part I have trouble with:
There is virtually NO measurable distortion at any level or frequency until maximum gain settings are utilized. Even then, the measurements are near the residuals of the test instruments and barely detectable at the frequency extremes (.008% at 20 KHZ, +55dB gain)!

Although I haven't listened to these boxes, I have talked with Hayne Davis, who designed this box, and he seems like a very straight up guy, knowledgable, and down to earth.

Doesn't mean the specs might not be off tilt. A lot of specs are. Heck, I'm probably off tilt :grin:

ju

10MHz gain-bandwidth product, 12 V/uS slew rate, and .0002% distortion are real good specs, but I don't see why they would be considered unbelievable or even that unusual.
Except for the supply voltage and unity-gain stability, an NE5534 meets those IC specs.

I'm not going to jump to conclusions as to the sounds of the unit. But I will say that $800 is a fair price for 4 channels. But some labeling would be nice. I mean you may know what everything does. But if someone comes in to use your studio they may fry your old RCA 44 looking for the phase switch. Just my thoughts.

The wood's a different touch. But I'd prefer a veneer over metal. But then again, I'm a sassy little bitch.

"But some labeling would be nice. I mean you may know what everything does."

I supose the designer left you the oportunity to decorate yourself the frontpanel as you like it. Just use a permanent marker and let the artist inside you do the job. :green: :green: :green:
This preamp is for the front panel artists DIY comunity. :green:

chrissugar

[quote author="dayvel"]10MHz gain-bandwidth product, 12 V/uS slew rate, and .0002% distortion are real good specs, but I don't see why they would be considered unbelievable or even that unusual.
Except for the supply voltage and unity-gain stability, an NE5534 meets those IC specs.[/quote]

Yeah..wasen´t the 10Mhz at unity..???..I dont see what soo unusual about this to rave about...But again what do I know...What am I missing here..??

I'm not going to jump to conclusions as to the sounds of the unit. But I will say that $800 is a fair price for 4 channels.

Mee to..I mean..what do 4 #ch of high quality preamps cost these days..usd 2400,00-3500,00 ??? Is these preamps sound good...800 would be a bargin I would say..

Kind regards

Peter

An audio engineer is going to open his gear.

I'm not questioning the sound of these devices but rather, the attitude of the seller. It's condescending to void someone's warrranty for opening the top.

Sorry, we're audio engineers. We mod our gear. We troubleshoot with multimeters. This Davisound gear is targeting a different user base. Maybe people who just like to look at their pretty gear??

When my MP2-NV arrived in the post, the first thing I did was pop the top.
(Yes, even before plugging it in.)
Not with any intent to mod or reverse-engineer, just to admire.

I'm sure dan k. would almost expect such behavior.
He has nothing to fear of what you might find inside. To the contrary I'm sure.

After reading this guys auction, I would avoid buying Davisound gear on principle alone. It's just bad politics to do business like this,

Kato

Seems like he's gone to great lengths to disparage the approach of using an attenuator for voloume control, while extoling the virtues of varying gain presumably by changing the feedback resistance. But this is fraught with problems too, like bandwidth that changes with gain setting...not everyone appreciates/wants this.

Or maybe they're controlling gain in some other manner...

Cheers,

Kris

Latest posts

Back