AC power cable>>?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snatchman

Hello..Question: When using an AC power cable that has the two prong end that mates up with an adapter to change voltages ( for different power settings?), will using just a regular three prong " equipment" AC cable work properly..?

Need more info. 110VAC or 220VAC? Feeding a switching supply? There are a lot of ways to do it wrong, causing damage, fire or electrocution.

Gear that uses two prong plugs requires double insulated primary wiring. 3 prong line cords provide a EGC or safety ground connection to bond the chassis to mains ground for user protection.

Your question is not very clear. What kind of adapter are you talking about?

JR

Sorry about about being vague.. :unsure: ...I bought an used Lindell 506 mk1 500 rack( with built in ) power supply and the AC cable just came with a two prong end that looks like its supposed to be used with an adapter that goes to the wall receptacle..I guess for switching between 110 and 220...Will just using a regular IDE three prong cable work..?..Thanks..

If the lindell has an universal power supply you may just need to plug it into your outlet. I presume the two prong end does not line up...

Is the line cord hard wired, or does it just plug into a socket.
===
I thought IDE cables are for connecting storage devices inside computers.

JR

If the lindell has an universal power supply you may just need to plug it into your outlet. I presume the two prong end does not line up...

Is the line cord hard wired, or does it just plug into a socket.
===
I thought IDE cables are for connecting storage devices inside computers.

JR
Hey John..Thanks for the reply..Yes, the two prong end doesn't line up and they are round pins.( not the blades) that normally plug into the wall socket. I mean the three prong cables that normally comes with audio equipment..:)...It is not hard wired..The end of the cable that plugs into the Lindell ( female) seems to be the normal three prong blade type..

The end of the cable that plugs into the Lindell ( female) seems to be the normal three prong blade type..
So use also 3 wires and blades to the otherside , or just do not touch the equipment...

And watch the mains voltage 115 or 230...

Lindell 506 mk1

I found a picture on Reverb which was a little difficult to read, but appeared to show a label on the back of the chassis which stated "Universal AC Input 100-240 Volt"
If that is the case for your unit as well just use a standard IEC power cable.

1698327915588.png

Note that it would have been super easy and quick to tell you that if you had just pulled out your phone and taken a picture of what you have.

Some photos would REALLY help...

If i didn't know any better, it might sound like you got a European-plug mains cable with your unit?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEE_7...ockets#CEE_7/7_plug_(compatible_with_E_and_F)
General article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets#Types_in_present_use
Hello..I think so ..I've seen cables like this but they normally have an adapter that plugs on the two round prongs converts it to the standard US socket..

It sounds like you are describing a typical European 230v plug.

A simple adapter to two pin Edison plug might not always end well. Even with a universal PS, it will draw more current operating from 115VAC compared to 230VAC.

I would try to source a correct line cord for the unit with compatible domestic plug.

If your original question is would a standard 3 wire line cord work? Yes it should, but chassis might not be safety ground bonded.

JR

I found a picture on Reverb which was a little difficult to read, but appeared to show a label on the back of the chassis which stated "Universal AC Input 100-240 Volt"
If that is the case for your unit as well just use a standard IEC power cable.

View attachment 116241

Note that it would have been super easy and quick to tell you that if you had just pulled out your phone and taken a picture of what you have.
Note the different value for the fuse , as statet by several , use grounded cable for your safety !

Latest posts

Back