Advice with connector PLEASE

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonolink

I'm building a guitar preamp that has a jack output to connect it to a power amp and an alternative balanced output to connecvt it directly to a mixer/soundcard. I'm having trouble fitting it into the box I want to use because the XLR panel male connector is kinda big. I've been trying to find smaller formats but it doesn't go really much smaller...

My question is: is it preferable to use a TRS jack panel connector as, balanced output (to eventually be used with i.e. an adapter cable TRS/XLR), would you use a mini XLR panel connector with an external adapter cable mini XLR/XLR, or would you suggest something else?

The enclosure can't be changed by another.
All comments and ideas are very welcome :)
Thanks for your time and help
Cheers
Sono

They do make slim panel mounts. But if the connector is physically not the right size , you could try TRS as you mentioned. It would be fine. You could also do a tail. The tail would be a hole with a grommet to lock the cable in place and then have an xlr at the end of the cable. Just a thought.

I'm building a guitar preamp that has a jack output to connect it to a power amp and an alternative balanced output to connecvt it directly to a mixer/soundcard. I'm having trouble fitting it into the box I want to use because the XLR panel male connector is kinda big. I've been trying to find smaller formats but it doesn't go really much smaller...

My question is: is it preferable to use a TRS jack panel connector as, balanced output (to eventually be used with i.e. an adapter cable TRS/XLR), would you use a mini XLR panel connector with an external adapter cable mini XLR/XLR, or would you suggest something else?

The enclosure can't be changed by another.
All comments and ideas are very welcome :)
Thanks for your time and help
Cheers
Sono

I have used mini-xlr with some stage stuff- I'd just recommend spending the money to get a switchcraft connector (or similar) that you can trust to be durable. I hate TRS but in this instance it would be fine too.

I second a grommeted tail of Canare L4E6S to MXLR. Tie wrap strain inside the box. If there is room for a TRS there should be room for a Neutrik MX. They are smaller than Switchcraft or Cannon. I would not have a mini XLR just to have a panel connector.
Mike

Latest posts

Back