[ACMP investiupgradifications] All things PREAMP

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
redddog said:
Cool.

Any idea what the kit goes for?
Hi Reddog.  Steve told me a year ago that it would be about $125 for a 73, however he hasn't finished his investigations yet.  Probably will be more.

Paul ;D

I read the thread.  It seems to be coming from the last board on the right.  I was wondering if anyone else only had buzzing coming from that one board.  It is loud...holy cow is it loud.

Any news?  I got my 84s to a nicely usable state (no more toroid induced hum in the EQ) by shielding the toroid using grain oriented silicon steel tape (like the stuff used to make toroid cores). It should be similar to the stuff sold by a member here in the white market, although I used 2-3 layers (it's all closed up now, don't want to open it again) and mine was free  ;D . Anyway, before this, the hum was only audible with the EQ set to max boost at 360Hz and preamp gain at max, now it's gone as far as I can tell. Maybe I should test it further, but it's good enough for my ears, and I don't have time...

Hope you guys are also having luck with these.

Has even ONE person gotten their unit back from Steve Hogan??  Has he returned anyones deposit money?  Just curious, as he has my pre and deposit.  He won't return my calls or email.   

I also have a deposit in to Steve.  My two brothers each have a 73 and a deposit with him.  I heard back from Steve in July and just sent him another email several days ago.  I'll post if and when I hear back.  In his last email he said that he hoped to start shipping units in August IIRC.

Paul

This guy is a first class flake.

NO ONE is too busy to send a 2 second email to a customer. Do you work when you take a crap? Because that's enough time to send an email to a person who you took money from.

I don't care if he can make these things make my stuff sound like the voice of God, he's a crook and I would consider anything anyone has sent him to be lost.

FYI:  Steve "the snake" Hogan is alive and kicking at the Yahoo Group called "TacT Audio Users Group". He is Spewing his crap on the forum, probably getting ready to take some "deposits".
He is answering his phones and actively posting. I advise you call his local FBI office so they can capture this snake and seize his assets in order to refund all the "deposits" that was taken.

It's not really any of my business (I haven't shipped any of my units away, and never paid any money), but I think you guys should collectively do something about this, otherwise you will never see your units or your money.

That said, the units being repaired by TNC themselves still haven't been returned either. It's not that hard to get them working well!

Since it imploded / exploded i haven't been to the original grp
[ where was it ? , they shut down the thread ]

they were actually going fix units ? or pretending to ?

Steve Hogan checking in with all of you.

To those who have sent deposits and I have your preamps.  Your money was spent to purchase the parts to mod your units. I know that apologies aren't much comfort when you have been without your gear for over a year, but I am truly sorry that I have not been able to resolve all the issues in these boxes, in a timely fashion.  I am making it a priority to complete your units and ship them back by the end of the month, and I promise better communication.

Steve Hogan said:
Steve Hogan checking in with all of you.

To those who have sent deposits and I have your preamps.  Your money was spent to purchase the parts to mod your units. I know that apologies aren't much comfort when you have been without your gear for over a year, but I am truly sorry that I have not been able to resolve all the issues in these boxes, in a timely fashion.  I am making it a priority to complete your units and ship them back by the end of the month, and I promise better communication.

Thanks, Steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa_JdEqSLmA

TacTical said:
FYI:  Steve "the snake" Hogan is alive and kicking at the Yahoo Group called "TacT Audio Users Group". He is Spewing his crap on the forum, probably getting ready to take some "deposits".
He is answering his phones and actively posting. I advise you call his local FBI office so they can capture this snake and seize his assets in order to refund all the "deposits" that was taken.

Anthony Padilla is the author of this first-time post, which he wrote specifically to injure me. Anthony Padilla has apparently made it his mission in life to retaliate against me personally because of some posts I made in the above referenced forum. Mr. Padilla has a business modifying audio gear manufactured by TacT Audio.
He uses that forum as well as some other Tact related forums to promote his business.  There is nothing really wrong with that.

There has been a Tact owner who has been making really innovative and interesting DIY modifications to his own unit, and has been sharing his results on the forum.   Anthony has responded in the forum to his posts with sarcastic and demeaning posts, promoting his (commercial) mods as superior. I was asked by an existing client who owns TacT gear to check out the mods that the DIYer was doing, so I signed up for that forum and the other Tact related forums to see what was going on.  My first contact with Mr. Padilla was when he denied me membership in the "Real TactHacker's Forum". I was flabbergasted.  I had never been denied entrance to a forum before and I re-applied,figuring that it was a mistake. He wrote that it wasn't a mistake -- he did not want anyone on the forum who did modifications (No one who might be a possible competitor). No big deal I figured out that he uses that forum specifically to promote his business.

Yesterday I made the mistake of posting in response to one of Anthony's condescending posts in which he tried to prove his (erroneous) point by quoting from a data sheet. I explained that he should read the datasheet more carefully, and then explained how the ASRC chip actually was being used in the circuit. I suggested that his sarcastic demeaning posts were greed-inspired.  

My phone rang a few minutes later at 4:40AM (He is in Los Vegas -- not a time zone mistake) and when I answered I heard "Go F**K yourself, etc. etc.  After about 5 seconds I figured out who it was and hung up.  The phone rang again and he continued the barrage of four-letter words.  I told him that if he called me again I would call the police.

His next forum post #29516 was a Flamer that started out Go F**K yourself!! and it went downhill from there, Including threatening to withhold repair support from my client, and a lot of erroneous and slanderous statements about Jensen Transformers, where I worked in my former life as VP Engineering. He claimed among other things that Jensen Transformers were really made in China.  I forwarded the posts to Jensen and I'm guessing that they issued a strong warning to discontinue the attack on Jensen's reputation.

Anthony then apparently googled me and found this thread where I have admittedly frustrated and disappointed many of you due to the length of time it has taken me to resolve the issues with your preamps.  He quoted many of the complaints he found here on the Tact forum and then signed up on DIY to post the one quoted above.

I have posted probably half a dozen times on the Tact Audio User's Group forum. I have never even hinted that I do modifications for a living on that forum. I have no plans to offer any mods to anyone except my single existing client, who approached me.  I certainly won't be asking for "deposits" for anything. When it comes to projects, I already have my hands full getting your preamps finished -- I'm not about to start anything new.

I include this link http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TacTAudioUsersGroup/message/29507, but unlike the DIY forum, one has to become a member of the group to see the posts. Feel free to read if you want to see a really amazing over-reaction. Start at message #29507 to find the post I first replied to.

Update: I just tried the link, and reviewed the online messages and some of the especially nasty ones that slander Jensen are now missing. They are messages 29522,29525,29528,29529,29530.

Thank you for allowing me to respond to Mr. Padilla's post.  Hopefully there will be no need to revisit this unfortunate situation.

edited typo on 10/7/2010

okgb said:
Since it imploded / exploded i haven't been to the original grp
[ where was it ? , they shut down the thread ]

they were actually going fix units ? or pretending to ?
Go to PSW and start reading here  http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/16069/0/2864/3472/#msg_num_9

Looks like they started working on them in April, and still haven't found a reliable fix. I still say these things are imbued with bad karma (even though I truly have no spiritual beliefs.)  ;D

John "The Snake" Hogan,

You must be kidding me. What does this has to do with why your robbing peoples money and units?
You got caught pulling your same crap on another forum, and the ONLY reason why you posted back here, was because of me. If I never told the members of this forum what rock you was hiding under, you would never be posting here today.
Why don't you just tell them the truth? Tell them your broke and hocked their stuff. Your MO is to lurk the threads to find to  spew your crap, and con people. :eek:

You got some nerve acting like you know who I am, and what I do, when in fact, your tottaly clueless. ???
It is quite obvious why I do not allow people of your kind, on my forums.

Stop using Jensen Transformers name in order to gain ones trust, just to rip them off at the end. You should be ashamed of yourself. You make Nigerians scammers look like a saint.

Please, good people, keep it down - this forum's rules and spirit DOES NOT allow personal attacks, no matter what the circumstances.

If you think you have a good case, simply describe without resorting to verbal aggression - people around here has been known to be able to read, understand, and make up their mind about complicated stuff even in the absence of emotionally-enforced language.

Jakob E.
(Moderator)

I have no intention of continuing a tit-for-tat exchange with Anthony Padilla.
If anyone feels the need to get more information about the reasons for his personal attacks, I provided the link in my earlier post. If you want to see the content of additional vicious posts that have now been taken down from the Tactaudio User's group, you can contact me offline and I can forward them to you. One can also do a google search on Mr. Padilla which you might find enlightening. With the exception of the moderator here, I think that the exercise is probably a waste of your time, but I will gladly furnish the information if requested.

Unlike the unmoderated Tackaudio User's group, the discussions here have always centered on technical improvements to audio gear, not Flame wars. Even when members get frustrated by other members, the tone has been civil, and I appreciate that.

By the way, I have not pawned anyone's gear, just in case you haven't caught on that Anthony just makes up wild accusations.

It is a waste of my time to further respond to Mr. Padilla -- I have to finish the R&D on the preamps so I can get them finished and returned to those of you who have been waiting.

Apparently you do check in  / stop by here though
getting a unit finished up may be heartening & inspiring
, you know restore the faith
motivation to get one done ?

Back