Add passive HPF to mic input

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

Can I add a simple HPF to a mic by adding smaller coupling caps in series with the micamp input end ?
I dont need a viscious slope , just a gentle tailing off of the low end will do fine,
I most often find myself needing to tail off the low end , for instance on an sm58 on vocals ,
1683459699018.png
These phase changer xlr adapters obviously have a dual pole switch inside , so its possible to make it into a two position HPF , say -3 and -6db @80hz , then for flat bass response the adapter is simply removed from the circuit .

Thanks Ruud ,
Its 1200 ohms at the input ,
Its generally with dynamic mics like Shures I want to use it , to reduce proximity effect and find the sweet spot on the particular source , so probably aiming for 150-300 ohms output ,
Having a couple of barrel jack adapters each with two positions of HPF to cover a range of -3,-6,-9,-12db at the chosen frequency would be nice and help me make better use of standard mic inputs without eq like on audio interfaces or just basic hi&lo shelf like found in most small mixers .
Shure A15HP is the obvious example , 79.99 each but they also pass phantom power and appear to distort , maybe its inductor based .
https://pubs.shure.com/guide/A15HP/en-US
The XLR adapters I showed are less than 10 each and have the dual pole switch built in .

Last edited:
A three position on-on-on switch would make even more sense ,

The bit I dont fully understand relates to a balanced signal ,
If its 1200 ohms input impedence ,do I calculate the values of caps on the basis of half that value ?

Latest posts

Back