Adding an External Sidechain to an Aphex Compellor 320A

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Hi All,

I picked up an Aphex Compellor 320A a while back. I've been using it lately as a mix bus compressor and really like it, as it adds "cohesion" in a very transparent way.

The problem I've run into is that I often need to print stems which I can't do as the 320A doesn't have an external sidechain.

Would it be easy/hard/impossible to add an external sidechain to one one of these?

I've attached a schematic of the unit's main board.

Cheers,

Chris

Attachments

• Aphex 320 Compellor Main Board.pdf
    142.5 KB · Views: 1
The problem I've run into is that I often need to print stems which I can't do as the 320A doesn't have an external sidechain.
What do you mean? I don't understand how an external side-chain to a comp/lim would help printing stems.
Are you mixing in harware or from a DAW?

Would it be easy/hard/impossible to add an external sidechain to one one of these?
Do you mean an input for an external signal to feed the side-chain?
This should be easy.
You need to interrupt the connection from H101-3 and use H101-4 as input.
It would help if we had the schemo of the other parts of the unit

Last edited:
If you want the sum of the stems to be the same as the original mix, and you have a compressor on the mixbus, then you need to send the full mix to the compressor's sidechain as each stem is processed. Otherwise the each stem only gets the gain reduction of its own signal which is not the same as that of the full mix.

I think I've got the rest of the schematics for the Compellor somewhere - I'll have a look for them and post them.

Cheers!

Last edited:
If you want the sum of the stems to be the same as the original mix, and you have a compressor on the mixbus, then you need to send the full mix to the compressor's sidechain as each stem is processed. Otherwise the each stem only gets the gain reduction of its own signal which is not the same as that of the full mix.
Then, what is the point of creating stems? I thought it would give the possibility to process them individually. Applying a predefined compression to something that's gonne be altered seems weird to me...
I am amazed at how new practices make things more complex, now that technology has made the essence of the work easier.
I see the same thing going in live sound reinforcement, when it takes a crew of five to do what used to be done by a single SE.
Call me outmoded. :)

Then, what is the point of creating stems? I thought it would give the possibility to process them individually. Applying a predefined compression to something that's gonne be altered seems weird to me...
I am amazed at how new practices make things more complex, now that technology has made the essence of the work easier.
I see the same thing going in live sound reinforcement, when it takes a crew of five to do what used to be done by a single SE.
Call me outmoded. :)
Stems are mainly used for remixing and for DJs doing club mixes. Some mastering engineers work from stems too.

If you want the sum of the stems to be the same as the original mix, and you have a compressor on the mixbus, then you need to send the full mix to the compressor's sidechain as each stem is processed.

But it won't be the same even if you do that. Say you have 24 stems to print off. At minimum, the sum of the stems will contain 24x the Compellor’s noise and distortion levels.

I guess I agree with abbey road denfer, and not quite seeing the benefits. eg. why would you want the sound of a peak limiter kicking in on every individual track, if the thing that actually caused the peaks in the first place isn't as loud in the mix any more?

I'm not actually sure of the benefits of this either, other than it's often something that is requested. Possibly it's because whoever is using the stems wants a mix of, say, nine out of the ten stems, and that these sound basically the same as the full mix. I think I'll ask about this over at one of the production forums.

Latest posts

Back