Awesome Easy Aphex Compellor Mod w/Clips vs SSL API

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vintagelove

Hello, here is an awesome, easy mod for the Aphex Compellor. The Aphex stock is an excellent tool as a transparent leveling device, but this mod really opens up the possibilities. What we're doing here is modifying the attack time on the Leveler side. But what's interesting is that in the 50/50 (level/comp) setting, the comp side also responds to the control, and both sides release speed up radically.

Now the unit can really shape transients and adds a ton of apparent volume, without squashing the sound (compared to other units narrowing the peak to RMS gap). It has a great smack on drums as you can hear in the clips below.

The mod itself is very easy. We're just strapping a 1m pot (on the faceplate near the power switch) across the large resistor that controls the leveling side attack (it's 5.6m on most units, on the 320a, which this unit is, it's r123). I also added a switch on the back to interrupt the feed to that pot which returns the unit to stock. It can go from too fast (which has obvious distortion) most of the way to the stock setting... But... if you set it at 50/50 and keep it under 10db reduction, you set it to the fastest setting with no distortion. That setting really makes tracks loud (you can hear it on the hip hop sample below), almost 2db more rms level than the SSL.

Speaking of the clips. They are all peak matched. The API is a great waveshaper, and really adds a lot of smack to drums, but it really struggled to catch peaks and narrow the peak to rms gap as well as the others. To even get in the ballpark on the hip hop sample, you can hear the snare suffer... On the rock track, despite the SSL measuring louder rms, to the ear the Aphex is noticeably louder. Now, I could have easily made the Aphex measure higher rms, but it was a really nice sounding setting, and by ear was louder than the SSL, so I went with it. So for 5 bucks in parts, you can turn it from a box that you can’t hear working, into something that competes with, if not beats some of the most popular buss compressors around. Sounds like a good deal to me. Anyway, enjoy!!!

Attachments

• Aphex_320 schematic.pdf
    973.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Quick update, removing the opamp 107 does in fact disable the dynamic verification gate. In many cases this much improves the release of both the leveler and the compressor. Highly recommended.

Very interesting stuff. I have always been an Aphex fan and if they have a fault it is that they are too transparent

They made a compressor called the Expressor. Quite rare - I think I've only had a couple - but they have more control than the Compellor or Dominator

https://www.bn1studio.co.uk/shop/compressors/mono/aphex-expressor-compressor/
That's a 651 - they're actually pretty plentiful, as are their tube-infused sibling the 661. I've got a couple of 661s and a single 651, and they're outstanding. The 651 was also available as the 9651, for their 9000 series enclosures. Definitely a different tool from the 320, which I also have.

LOVE the Aphex stuff!

Very interesting stuff. I have always been an Aphex fan and if they have a fault it is that they are too transparent

They made a compressor called the Expressor. Quite rare - I think I've only had a couple - but they have more control than the Compellor or Dominator

https://www.bn1studio.co.uk/shop/compressors/mono/aphex-expressor-compressor/
Hi, the 651 (expressor) are very common over here in the US. I have a couple Jim Williams modded units. They are excellent (even stock), very transparent with regard to pumping etc, but are effective wave shapers. They are fantastic, but they don't do what this compellor does.

It's hard to know exactly what's going on under the hood, as no schematic was ever released for this version, but whatever it is, combined with this mod, makes for a really different dynamics box. It adds a ton of apparent volume, while not sounding squashed. I'm not sure if it's because the compression "rides on top of" the leveler, or the frequency dependent limiter circuit (that's what differentiates the 320A), but man it's a unique box.

PS, more clips are coming.

I have done some pretty intense mods to the Compellor, 661 and 651's. The aphex units that I have been in are designed and built well. Prefect units for mods. They become very clean and flexible. Well worth having a few around if you can grab them cheaply.

I have done some pretty intense mods to the Compellor, 661 and 651's. The aphex units that I have been in are designed and built well. Prefect units for mods. They become very clean and flexible. Well worth having a few around if you can grab them cheaply.
I am interested in what you have done to the 651s? I have two laying around I have been meaning to do something with, It seems like the jim williams mod is mainly just better opamps and direct coupling?

That’s basically it. These guys are always gonna be clean, not vibe. Just extremely flexible and functional. So cleaning up the analog stages makes sense to me.

Ive got an, Aphex 651, 1995.
Changing the Cap value for the HFX side,

Gives it the ability, to have a louder effect on the Hfx Ratio output,
its easier to hear the effect,
and more pronounced,
i found the Hfx Ratio was to quiet and subtle, as Standard.

Theres already, a Hole to easily fit a Fuse Holder, on the Right hand side.

Ive put a dab of glue, on the back of the switches, they no longer wobble.

Really unique, the old Aphex gear.

Attachments

• Aphex Model 651 Operating Guide.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Updated the video, couple thoughts after living with the mod for a bit.

Definitely pull the opamp for the dynamics verification gate. It makes the unit function much better as a studio comp/level/limit. Completely stops the weird occasional "freeze" action that was my only complaint about the box (even stock).

What the unit really excels at is retaining transient signals while boosting the RMS. Drums and acoustic guitar in particular. On things like vocals, let's say compared to an 1176, it's smoother, and does a better job of actually leveling the vocal, but doesn't quite have the same RMS boost of the 1176. The Aphex is an even signal, while the 1176's loud parts, are even louder. Different tools for different jobs...

Just speculating, but I suppose the difference in reaction is due to the "dynamic recovery computer" and how it treats more or less transient signals differently. Whatever happening, it's a very cool box.

Thanks for this! I have a 320A sitting in a rack. I got it cheap (not working) but managed to repair it. In the past I've mainly used it for transparent level control during tracking but your mod has got me very interested in changing it over to a bus comp.

Could you post some pics of the front/rear panels after the mod - there's not much space on the front panel for another knob!

Also, how does it handle bus duties across a full mix (as opposed to just drums)?

Cheers!

Thanks for this! I have a 320A sitting in a rack. I got it cheap (not working) but managed to repair it. In the past I've mainly used it for transparent level control during tracking but your mod has got me very interested in changing it over to a bus comp.

Could you post some pics of the front/rear panels after the mod - there's not much space on the front panel for another knob!

Also, how does it handle bus duties across a full mix (as opposed to just drums)?

Cheers!
Hi, I'll post a pic, but I don't think it would be of much help, because on the 320a, there is only 1 place the pot can go on the front, right next to the power switch.

On the back there's more room, but it's pretty self explanatory where it should go, there's a nice open spot.

On mix bus I don't think the pot makes a huge difference, mostly because it controls the leveler side, which has a pretty aggressive ratio (and you don't want to get crazy with it on mix bus), and they did an excellent job of choosing the stock value. However, pulling the DVG about will definitely make an improvement.

Hope that helps.

PS, Here's the only pic I have right now, you can't see the pot, but it's just to the right at the end of the pcb.
IMG_3029.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back