Advices for a dc electric power analyzer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2d2

Hi to all,
looking around a little bit for a dc electric power analyzer
to use to check the dc power supply of diy projects
and about any your advice is welcome ,
thanks in advance for any about
and cheers.

There are also logging meters that will record measurements. Useful if you are looking for an intermittent fault.

You can get an electronic load, there are some kits out there, or you can buy a used one on eBay.

I've always found two multimeters adequate for this.
Thanks for info!
It is a good way that don't destroy bank account... ,
do you mean connected in parallel ("Y" mode) ?

The need is also to be able to see (graphically) the power "wave" and its anomalies/problems.

What do you mean by power? Watts? Attach the power supply to an appropriate resistance, measure the voltage across it and the current through it, and multiply.

Or maybe I'm not understanding your needs.
Thanks for post !
The section to check/analyze would be from main transformer secondary out,
to the output connectors of the AC to Dc "converter" ,
before go to audio device psu input section,
voltages +/- , ampere/ma , etc.. ,

that allow to see (graphically) the power "wave" and its anomalies/problems,

better if it were an external interface to connect to a laptop or desktop,
with a dedicated software,

as possible do with various free softwares for analyze audio signal,
that allow you to use external audio cards as input.

Used analog CRT oscilloscopes can be had for cheap (relative to their new price) in many places. Not everyone has the same budget, so I can't make that determination about destruction. $100-150 for an early 80s Tektronix is cheap.

It looks to me like you want to check the transformer secondary as you put the power supply under load, so an oscilloscope which you can implement as software (free) 8 Best Free Oscilloscope Software For Windows to check the transformer waveform, as you put the supply onder load, either by connecting it to the device you want to power or to an electronic load (expensive) might work.

This option as well, Would be secondary but still very useful ,
any example about ?
The top of the line Fluke meters do this. It doesn't sound like this feature is necessary for what you are doing. I thought you were looking for the DC equivalent of an AC power analyzer.

Back