Advices for a dc electric power analyzer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks to me like you want to check the transformer secondary as you put the power supply under load, so an oscilloscope which you can implement as software (free) 8 Best Free Oscilloscope Software For Windows to check the transformer waveform, as you put the supply onder load, either by connecting it to the device you want to power or to an electronic load (expensive) might work.
...hmmm , put power voltages on the input of the audio cards ?

...hmmm , put power voltages on the input of the audio cards ?
Yeah, I hadn't thought of that since I have a benchtop scope where that's not a problem. It looks like there are various DIY and commercial probe/interface/attenuator curcuits available, but even so probably not a good idea to input a potentially destructive voltage to a soundcard.

Used analog CRT oscilloscopes can be had for cheap (relative to their new price) in many places. Not everyone has the same budget, so I can't make that determination about destruction. $100-150 for an early 80s Tektronix is cheap.

"80s" Tektronix cool device... ,
but It do not sound a bit like buy some headache ,
if not properly serviced and calibrated...?
cheers.

"80s" Tektronix cool device... ,
but It do not sound a bit like buy some headache ,
if not properly serviced and calibrated...?
cheers.
Same with any used gear. There's a lot of good info around for repairing these things and Tek published maintenance and calibration manuals. What are you going to do when your Siglent, Rigol, or Hantek unit fails in a few years?

My 2ch 100MHz Tek 2235 was made c.1983. I bought it from an equipment repair/rental shop in 1996. They had cleaned and calibrated it. I've yet to have any trouble with it and it's been moved twice including a 2600+ mile cross-country ordeal in 2021.

My Tek 7834 400MHz analog storage mainframe with plug-ins was made in the early 80s. I bought it used around 2010. AFAIK it hasn't been calibrated since well before that. It was shipped from NM to CA and then took the same 2600+ mile truck ride across the US in 2021. Still works fine.

Back