AKG C12 point to point build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know much about genuine C12s, but I did buy a cheap'n'cheerful Chinese Avantone CV-12 - with generic 'sharp' no-bass Chinese capsule - and fitted one of Matthew McGlynn's 'Microphone Parts' RK-12 (C12-soundalike) capsules. (I don't know the source of his RK-12s.)

What a universe of difference! ..New mic! Well worth the $169. And he also supplies a build-it-yourself V-251 circuit. (But the great-sounding capsule was sufficient improvement for me, so I haven't tried his circuit board.)

I have no connection with Mic-Parts, and this isn't any kind of advertisement ..just a recommendation that his RK-12 capsule (whoever makes it) is well worth - to me, anyway - the (relatively) not too much asking price.

YMMV.

I don't know much about genuine C12s, but I did buy a cheap'n'cheerful Chinese Avantone CV-12 - with generic 'sharp' no-bass Chinese capsule - and fitted one of Matthew McGlynn's 'Microphone Parts' RK-12 (C12-soundalike) capsules. (I don't know the source of his RK-12s.)

What a universe of difference! ..New mic! Well worth the $169. And he also supplies a build-it-yourself V-251 circuit. (But the great-sounding capsule was sufficient improvement for me, so I haven't tried his circuit board.)

I have no connection with Mic-Parts, and this isn't any kind of advertisement ..just a recommendation that his RK-12 capsule (whoever makes it) is well worth - to me, anyway - the (relatively) not too much asking price.

YMMV.
This is pretty much how I begun my microphone journey. And to this day I believe that capsule swap is the biggest change you can make. Beyond that you step in the area of diminishing returns.

The problem is when people replace a good capsule with other of the same type or even worse. If you spend little money, it's ok, but for bigger investment it's better trying to understand how to make your capsule sound as its best. This can involve less money but way more time

The problem is when people replace a good capsule with other of the same type or even worse. If you spend little money, it's ok, but for bigger investment it's better trying to understand how to make your capsule sound as its best. This can involve less money but way more time

..As with needlessly swapping mic transformers. I ought (another!) M-Audio Sputnik, but it had no bass ..I thought the roll-off switch was stuck; opened it up and out fell a fully wired-up replacement tranny instead of its original (which was still installed). Daft! People read somewhere that they absolutely MUST replace the native tranny with a Lundahl, or whatever - but it's not necessarily true. I'd never fiddle with an sE mic, for example.

..As with needlessly swapping mic transformers. I ought (another!) M-Audio Sputnik, but it had no bass ..I thought the roll-off switch was stuck; opened it up and out fell a fully wired-up replacement tranny instead of its original (which was still installed). Daft! People read somewhere that they absolutely MUST replace the native tranny with a Lundahl, or whatever - but it's not necessarily true. I'd never fiddle with an sE mic, for example.
..sorry: "bought".

Where I worked, we had four "Fat Head" ribbon mics from (now defunct) Cascade Microphones. Two had Lundahll "upgrade" transformers and two did not. I took 22 people into the studio and we blind tested them. Yup, two had clearer tone and more extended high frequency response. Dang, one of them turned out to be a Lundahl "upgrade" the other was stock. The other two that did not sound as good sounded quite similar to one another. One had a Lundahl transformer in it, one was stock.

So many variables....

Where I worked, we had four "Fat Head" ribbon mics from (now defunct) Cascade Microphones. Two had Lundahll "upgrade" transformers and two did not. I took 22 people into the studio and we blind tested them. Yup, two had clearer tone and more extended high frequency response. Dang, one of them turned out to be a Lundahl "upgrade" the other was stock. The other two that did not sound as good sounded quite similar to one another. One had a Lundahl transformer in it, one was stock.

So many variables....
Interesting. I have always noticed a VAST difference when swapping transformers in ribbons.

Latest posts

Back