"Allrounder" tube pre - Gyraf G9 vs PREDI'CT

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patricks

Hi all,

I'm looking for a DIY tube pre to use as a bass DI, to warm up digital synths and for use as a mic pre. I started off by searching for a DIY alternative to the REDDI box, which led me to the PREDI'CT. After some casual googling for tube mic pres, I found the Gyraf G9 and noticed that it accepts line level inputs and can be used as a DI.

I'd like some advice on which one will be a good "allrounder" to start with. Obviously, as a gear addict and DIY nut, the correct answer is "build both", but budget dictates starting with just one at this stage  ;D
How do the two compare? Specifically, I'd like to know how the Gyraf G9 does with bass guitars, and whether the PREDI'CT will sound any good with vocals or whether it's voiced specially for bass guitar. I already have a great solid-state pre based around the THAT1512 chip and I'm finishing off a phantom box for 48V power, so I have the clean gain and phantom power side of things covered and am free to choose whichever of the two tube pres is more sonically versatile.

Any tips?
Cheers, Pat

Great, thanks very much!
Long thread, I'll sit down and digest it at some point this week :)
Cheers
Pat

Thanks - I suppose I am looking to use the "tube sound" as an effect, but not to the extreme of a fuzz box.
Cheers
Pat

patricks said:
Thanks - I suppose I am looking to use the "tube sound" as an effect, but not to the extreme of a fuzz box.
Cheers
Pat

Find the PeQ project on Gyraf.dk, etch the main board, add a 1M pot on the input.

Gustav

Attachments

• LOG.jpg
    LOG.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 64
Cool, thanks!
What's the advantage of amp section from the Pultec EQ over the REDDI clone or the G9 (easier to build, more suited to instruments/reamping, more "tube character", etc.)?
Cheers
Pat

patricks said:
Cool, thanks!
What's the advantage of amp section from the Pultec EQ over the REDDI clone or the G9 (easier to build, more suited to instruments/reamping, more "tube character", etc.)?
Cheers
Pat

None of the above. They will all do the job very well. There will be tonal difference for sure but that is a matter of personal taste.

Cheers

Ian

patricks said:
Cool, thanks!
Cheers
Pat

I only suggested it for convenience. Didn't know there was a board for the REDDI inspired design, but I would prefer the suggestion I made to the G9, since the G9 is a bit more involved, and using the PeQ mainboard doesnt have any excess fat on it for using it as a DI/line driver.

I did do a two channel board based on it too to build a few "Heater" units at some point. I may have an extra board laying around somewhere I can send you if you pay for the shipping - if you decide to go that way.

Gustav

Attachments

• Heater.pdf
    154.5 KB · Views: 25
Hi again - tried PM-ing, Gustav, but your inbox is full :)

An added question: what's the output impedance of the PeQ SRPP section? If my thinking's correct, it's somewhere around 2.5k. The PeQ has a Lundahl 5402 as the OT; the G9 lists the OEP A262-A2E as equivalent and the OEP site lists that as being 2.4k:600

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of pairing Gustav's "Heater" board with Garry's custom OT for the REDDI, to put some "iron" in the signal path. Garry's OT is 5k:600 with only one way to connect the primary, so I'm not sure if it'll fit with the PeQ.

Cheers,
Pat

Back