Am I the only one...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
right and that would normally happen here but the clients made such a stink over the extra $$ that it was like fine let them have it, the studio manager should be able to field things.

oh I forgot to mention in the final cu de gras on their departure aside from the previously mentioned damage, they also blew up the subs that were attached to the mains. How you blow up a sub I have no idea.

They're lucky half the gear didn't grow legs.. people with  no respect for other's belonging generally have no problem with jacking your stuff.

Studio owner/manager was stupid to let that much go before kicking them out. I would have dropped them after the second set of tweeters.

ever see a sub woofer measure in  KΩ vs 4Ω :eek: Because of security on my part, I insisted any unnecessary gear be pulled, this was just in part to the style of clientele and no so much anything else.  Better be safe then sorry.

I wish I could say not all of us hip-hop types are like this, but it seems to be the vast majority are. IMHO, I would have laid into them about how they are paying for damaged monitors, but the smoking in my control room would have been the final straw. I would have tossed their asses out myself.

Unfortunately, it's not only in music business... Sadly, I have to admit I do find people very dumb lately.

I don't mean they don't know some specific domains such sound engineering, electronics, mechanics, etc... They are just becoming more and more dumb everyday, not thinking by themselves anymore, not trying to understand how things work (on a big scale). People take for granted anything they will see on TV and/or YouTube. They don't have any wish to make any effort in anything... and less in trying to learn things, regardless what it is.

Of course, not everyone can be electronics/sound engineer and know everything about it, just like not everyone could know every single job on earth. But at least, you can try to get interested when you have to deal with... So if you want to go in a Recording Studio to record your song, you might try to get interested on the whole process and try to listen and follow instructions from assistants, technicians, engineers or managers from the studio. Otherwise, you'd better to stay home. If you're sick and have to go to the hospital, you're not gonna start to walk around to find some medicine and tools to operate on yourself. Personally, I know I wouldn't and I would be very careful to what the doctors and nurses would say to me.

World's seriously sick! And the trend of dumbing down is very very bad. It's becoming "cool" to pull everything to the bottom. It's recommended to sound "dumb" to the point to really becoming dumb. I'm not consider myself like being "smart" or anything even close... but at least, I try everyday to go to the bed a little bit smarter than when I woke up the morning. Trying everyday to learn something new... It's quite hard work because it requires to make work the brain sometimes, which isn't an easy task, but it's always worth it...

It's unfortunately not something I can recognise on some other people (and definitely not on the younger generations). And it's not something specific to a location, country or language... it's something you can notice almost in any "developed countries" that might quickly end as "under-developed" pretty soon if we continue that path.

I find this very sad, because it encourages ignorance instead of knowledge... which could be very destructive in a mid to long term.

My 2 cents,
Phil

PS: English isn't my first language...

Wow this is my life!
From people not knowing what is what to just general idiocy!
By this i mean people saying they want to book a session for vocal recording, then turn up with no backing track or instrumental stems and expect me to make the backing track from guidlines and directions such as;
" Yea i was thinking some thing like, bumm tss bmm tsss babmmm tsss"
When i then say "ok what just came out your mouth is not what you think it sounds like in your head" they look at me like im a dickhead and say " but i thought you were a producer"
....excellent -____-

OR

The client tells me before hand how good they are at "Spitting Bars"
And how my 3hr minimum studio booking is too long so they may have to do a few tracks.
Only to find that 2hrs into the session they are still fumbling the first verse and blaming it on the level in the headphones, which i have constantly changed to taste for the past hour and a half

OR

The guy that brings nothing with him to a session except a bag of weed. When i say to him, "do you have the instrumental parts" his reply is, "No fam just rip it off youtube"

Excellent -___-

But do you know the one thing that tips me over the edge?

People who bring random tag alongs with them after me specifically saying "No one in the studio other than artists and people directly involved in the project eg management or producer"

No notice is taken and they bring their girlfriend who just sits there on her phone and winging about how long its taking and getting annoyed when i tell her to shut her and her phone up.
Or they bring a waste of space friend with them who is only there so they can say "in the studio" in their next facebook/twitter status with a picture of them making some random hand gesture sat in my chair leaning over all the gear when im out the room getting them water as they didnt think to bring any refreshments after gatecrashing the session.

Wow i feel better now

Www.sheanoo-audiosolutions.com

I feel that the days of studios needing "security staff" are close, if not here already !

True story:

Friend has a fairly decent studio, it's pro but not a "name" as yet.

Takes booking enquiry, the "Talent" comes over, plays songs, chats, drinks coffee and books in for the
following week and pays a cash "deposit" for the first few days, around £400 or so.

They setup and record on day one = all good.

Day two, at an appropriate quiet moment, 6 "mates" turn up, they pin the guy down and pretty much empty
the place of everything valuable in an hour, yup including unscrewing the tasty rack pieces !

NOT a good ending, but thankfully he was unharmed in the process, though heavily threatened.

It was all bogus, mobile phone numbers were throw away cards etc.

I can't even begin to understand how this sort of persons mind works !!

( upshot from Police was that this wasn't the first time, very similar set of events a number of times, this was 2010 )

I just have ( thankfully ) too much old school "right and wrong" programmed into my psyche :)

Marty.

Well, given the current low prices for HD security camera systems, maybe studios should be opting for that instead of another manley compressor.

I just put in cameras a few months ago that send shots out to the internet (so they cant steal the video server and all evidence with it) best investment ever at under $300.

A local coffee franchise up here has cameras all over every one of their stands, yet there's always some idiot who thinks it's a good idea to knock them off. They're all streaming to a server off-site, and so far, nobody has made it two weeks after robbing one without the police picking them up.

WOW!
All I can say is, I'm so relieved that I am not the only one having noticed the dumbing down of today's youth. (and so-called "artists")

It's like, it's become uncool to have knowledge or to appear too organised or express yourself with english words and phases that are structured...let alone knowing anything about the activity you are involved in...
Argggh!!
(Don't get me started!!!) :mad: ::)

lol this makes me think of a trio i used to record..
the guitar player used to record all instruments and vocals.
because the other 2 were just a bunch of idiots...

nothing seriously but the guy sometimes would book me for 4 hours and came not knowing his parts or would just improvise a song.
You know i was half asleep when he finally decided that was it!

lol.

That is why I interview clients as hard or harder than they interview me. I have made great strains in my business model to not have to book a client because I have to make a payment. I used to be torchered by these things but finally said enough.

I always ask any prospective client "what is it you expect me to provide"? I also make it extremely clear that if they want me to "PRODUCE" that comes at a price and I will be involved with rehearsals before the sessions start. I also usually have prior knowledge of people I work with as most of my work is by word of mouth. I DO NOT ADVERTISE IN PUBLICATIONS! I never take on anything I can't understand or seems like it is going to be abusive.

I used to do sessions that went for days with people who only wanted to be famous not express themselves. I came to the conclusion I would rather be pumping gas.

Also if you don't have insurance and a good lawyer. Get 'em. Lastly create a good relationship with-in your community and it will nurture you.

To summerize: Don't work with people who don't love themselves and what they do!

Latest posts

Back