Amazing dumb person

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around here (Missouri) the local electric utility now spends a lot of time on tree-trimming, keeping several squads of workers busy much of the year. This became policy after some 40% of the city was blacked out by trees taking out lines when we had some mini-tornadoes one spring. Now Union Electric has figured out that it's cheaper to trim trees than fix wires. Better PR, too.

Peace,
Paul

> cheaper to trim trees than fix wires

I don't think this is true. Most years, most trees make no trouble. And trimming a couple hundred feet of line can (depending on tree density) take a lot longer than the typical repair, even considering overtime wages.

Asplunth averaged about 150 feet of line per hour on my street. True, this is "wilderness"... not even a mature forest, but the dense grow-back 30-50 years after clear-cutting. Canopy is higher than the lines, but trunks are still so dense I could hardly squeeze an excavator through some spots. Urban Missouri will have fewer larger wider trees but not to-infinity back from the line as we have here in the woods.

I heard a New Jersey Utility spokesperson on the radio the other day talking about some cleanup & restoration facts. He stated that there was in excess of thirty thousand trees that came down on lines and roads that had to be cleared before lines could be repaired.

Back