AMEK 2500 mic pre: how does it work?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since this is one of the earlier B units it uses rather good components compared to the stuff they're currently building.

What's the model-nr. of this unit? I have a friend who has one of those older B amps, and he's claiming it's much better than the newer stuff.

Here is a list what input impedance the manufacturers suggest for their microphones:

I don't think these are "optimum" values; these are minimal values - if you use higher loading, the mic might not meet all specs. But you are right, most mics with trannies like input impedances smaller than 2k - slight loading does damp some of the high freq resonance, which is a good thing to have in many circumstances.

Samuel

The proper model nr. is "Ultragain Mic 2000" if that's what you mean. It is a very solid no frills box unlike never B-stuff. There's only a gain control, a variable low cut, and phantom power. Its successor the Ultragain 2200 offers parametric EQ, a tube & stuff at about 1/3 of the price. So I guess they must have made compromises somewhere. Among the visible ones is that the 2200 comes in a much lighter, thinner housing.

Lots of mic preamps are very similar to the Ultragain schematic. You already pointed out the Project 66 preamp and the ADA8000. Zillions of mixers sport similar preamps as well. So there's nothing original about it. Still the Ultragain 2000 sounds better than most. I suspect it has in part to do with the 2SB737 transistors.

re impedance: what mic manufacturers usually quote is the recommended minimum impedance. But it's true (at least in my experience) that many mics sound good with impedances slighly above 1k. Still the Ultragain 2000 is very compatible. I've yet to find a mic that doesn't like it at all. So I personally don't see a reason to change the input impedance. I've recently gotten one of those cheap t.Bone ribbons (which sounds nice btw), and my slightly modded Ultragain is the mic pre it likes most so far. I tried an ART preamp with variable impedance (not my own), but it really didn't like the ribbon at any setting. But I think it's mainly the way they implemented the impedance control, not the low impedance itself. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to design a dedicated ribbon preamp or add an additional input especially for ribbons (lower impedance, no phantom power).

guys. I need some help please. I´ve build this AMEK mic pre. PCB came from Olaf, who succesfully built another pre.

Running it for the first time I had a hum which I meanwhile solved. It was a groundloop. I forgot to split the two channels on the pcb , so this is solved now.

But I have a lot of noise not coming from the psu. More amplification causes more noise... I have no Idea how to solve this or how to measure and where ? I would be happy with noise when I am bulding a cheap chaep b**ringer .... :green: :green: :green:

some help please ?

Hey Jurgen , have seen the pictures , nice build , but my question is why did you not use the standard switches?
Now the cables to the switches can be to long and picking up some noise from the powersupply , it is always difficult to get things the way you want it , and sometimes you newer will understand it.
So try to get the power cabels away from the audio , and make only one point of earth.(ONE!!!!!)
Have a try , and keep on doing that nice work.

@henk... what pictures ? Do you mean the Calrec ? Calrec sounds excellent even WITH wires. I used wires because the layout of the pcb didn´t fit the layout of my frontpanel...

@olaf, I will check this...but I think I did it right way...

Hey Jurgen

Yes i have seen pictures at your site , the one that is under your name , and i believe it is the calrec.
There you have picture with Apem switches and long cables to them , and you can see that on the pcb there is place for them , so try to keep the cables as short as possible and allways far from the powersupply.

Olaf,

yyyuuuuhhuuuuuuu. I got it. I didn´t checked the voltages yet, but when I double checked the components I found out, that the gain pot was not wired correct. Now wiring is correct and I have no hum and no noise (=nothing really recognized). I was playing with it a while than I compared it to the green pre.

I think, the neve has a bit less hi´s than the green pre (I mean above 10k).

I will have a voice here next week so I will have a A/B between green and amek2500 (and also 02/R for reference).

I am very happy. Now I will try with all transistors in , if it´s sounds better then...?

Olaf, could you compare the neve to other mic pre´s ?

Thanks for help.

So today I did a quicky. I recorded a soundfile. One I did with my green Pre and the other is my new amek.

Don´t pay attention to the lyrics (glad they are in german hehe).

I recorded the following way:

Brauner valvet -> Mic Pre -> 02R (uuuh,shit) -> digital to logic.

Next time I will use better A/D conversion and more Pre´s...

AMEK
GreenPre

Hi
I know this thread is old now but..
The transistors were paralled but not matched as it is a 'statistics' thing that the more you parallel the more similar the overal 'gain' will be and the quieter performance. 4 pairs gives a reasonable compromise of board area versus benefit. A LM393 has 50 transistors in parallel but is very expensive.
These were built before the superb 'Japanese' transistors (2sB...) were available.
The copy of the AMEK green pre bootstraps the input impedance to minimise the effect of unbalanced sources among other benefits.
Mr Neve explained this in some of the literature of the time.
Matt S

hi,
i would like to know if anybody have a BOM for this preamp
the original link is broken and i would like to build 2 channels
i have already the PCB
thanks
regards

Hi everybody.
I'd like to build this preamp,but unfortunately,most of topic links don't work.
I've found a web where can download schematic and pcb files...

http://www.dmlab.jexiste.fr/amek m2500.htm

...but there is no way to know how components are placed on that pcb.

Could anyone give me any reference?

Thank you.

I have a hameg power supply including meters and as far as I remember it showed something around 180mA each rail (pos/neg)...

But if you need a 100% answer I have to measure it again.

Cheers
JayDee

Hi JayDee,thanks for the response.
Then,it means that each psu regulator ic gives around 90 mA, isn't it?
I've not got too much space for the power supply,so I'd like to minimize regulators heatsinks size.
If you make that measure,please let me know.
Thanks again.
José.

i just don´t remember if it was the value for the whole stero thing or just a mono...

Anyway I remember my heatsinks didn´t get really hot...

Latest posts

Back