Amek 400 Series PSU schematics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmilFrid

Hi!

I've got a blown rail module in a 400 series PSU but no schematics. A bad filter cap exploded and covered everything in black crap. Upon cleaning the board I found a resistor so badly burnt I cannot tell its intended value, and I wouldn't trust measuring it.
So if anyone have the schematics or an idea of where I can find it, I'd be very grateful. I've searched on the web but to no avail...

EDIT: Oh never mind... I figured out how to order threads in alphabetical order and - yes! - found the schematics on here. A mod can delete this, it seems I cannot do that myself. Sorry.

Emil

Last edited:
Hi!

I've got a blown rail module in a 400 series PSU but no schematics. A bad filter cap exploded and covered everything in black crap. Upon cleaning the board I found a resistor so badly burnt I cannot tell its intended value, and I wouldn't trust measuring it.
So if anyone have the schematics or an idea of where I can find it, I'd be very grateful. I've searched on the web but to no avail...

EDIT: Oh never mind... I figured out how to order threads in alphabetical order and - yes! - found the schematics on here. A mod can delete this, it seems I cannot do that myself. Sorry.

Emil
Dear Emil, Happy holidays. I have just joined on here and am also looking for the AMEK 400 Series PSU schematics (or ideas for individual rail replacement PSUs) - may I ask where you found the schematics on here please?

Many thanks, kind regards and greetings from Scotland,

Jamie

Hi!

Emil
After I recapped my complete Angela II desk´s channels ...one day one of the rail modules of the PSU started to smoke... then I realized my beginner mistake not to recap the PSU first... :( ...
I bet it was the same module... resistor was burned as well and one of the rails at the resistor was burned away...
With new caps now and the rail repaired , resistor exchanged, the PSU and the mixing board runs like a charm...
I will check out the mod and will think about to open it again if this helps the PSU to run even better.

Yes even a resistor on the board was burnt... they seem to fail very violently. Happy to hear your Angela works now. Amek made some amazing consoles imo...

Hi
The schematics of the Delaire 5 rail supply were never released because they were a 'custom' bought in unit from Delaire and any failed units were exchanged by AMEK (sent a new unit then ship the damaged one to Delaire to fix). Delaire may just have scrapped them back in the day.
Recapping before they burn out is about the best you can really do. I have 4 of them in my workshop in various states of 'dead', not that I will be bothering to fix them. The large electrolytic on the 15 to 48 Volt AMEK board (phantom power) should be replaced with low ESR 'switchmode' suitable capacitors. Early examples were 'ordinary' standard types and could burst just for fun.

Hi
The schematics of the Delaire 5 rail supply were never released because they were a 'custom' bought in unit from Delaire and any failed units were exchanged by AMEK (sent a new unit then ship the damaged one to Delaire to fix). Delaire may just have scrapped them back in the day.
Recapping before they burn out is about the best you can really do. I have 4 of them in my workshop in various states of 'dead', not that I will be bothering to fix them. The large electrolytic on the 15 to 48 Volt AMEK board (phantom power) should be replaced with low ESR 'switchmode' suitable capacitors. Early examples were 'ordinary' standard types and could burst just for fun.

I see. Well, at least the rails blown in my PSU was there among the schematics. Luckily, because stuff was completely obliterated. I ended up having both the positive and negative 17.5 rail going to shit. The card pictured above is the least destroyed of the two. I'll see if I can find a pic of the other card. Burned straight through - just touching the area were there used to be caps made a hole in the board, which by the way also became conductive around the whole.

So yes, everything completely recapped now.

A nightmare is over.

@58Glammer

Good to hear that yours wasn't as bad. At first I was wondering if I could even make it reliable again. Also, I think it was a PITA to even get to the rail cassettes to begin with...

Mildly curious about anyone having schematics because I had to sign a non disclosure waiver for the copy I have which I haven't even looked at for 30 years since I visited a few studios to mod the main switcher module while I was at AMEK. similarly the power One schematics should have been removed from the manuals that had them as they too were under a 'non disclosure notice.

Thanks for that diagram. As I repair desks for a living, having done it for 40 years I would not repair one of these for a customer unless original spec components were used but I might repair one of my 4 units 'for fun for my own use.

Latest posts

Back