AMEK Angela Console, any comment and opinion? Thanks!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ADKY,

I'd be willing to copy my blueprint sized schematic which includes the power supply and channel strip for the cost of shipping and copies. The blue print I have is quite large and was given to me when I purchased my Amek Angela Blue producers desk (non vca). It came with 6 spare channel strips. The desk is fully functional and in excellent working condition when decommissioned by myself and the studio owner at the time of sale -except for a few scratchy pots and normal wear and tear items, no big deal. The channel strips a very high density populated with components  push switches, pots on both sides of the board , not easy to work with by any means.

Can you post a picture of one of your channel strips ?

Reed Relay CCPRI/J 5V(coil resistance 1K ohm) = Pickering 101-1-C-5/3 5V ( Coil resistance 1600 ohms)

spec sheet : http://www.pickeringrelay.com/pdfs/101.pdf

PickerRR.jpg

If the relays that you need are the CCPRI/J (small black plastic box) which is used for the channel and monitor path mutes then we make a replacement unit (AML-16-001);
http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalog/aml_electronic_products.html

These are also used on the M2500

But before you change them.... check the soldering of the original ones as they are often just badly soldered..... and the same goes for the transistor which drives them...

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Slenderchap said:
There are no transformer input Angelas (I think Keith was thinking of the M2500)....  all the mic pres are electronic on the Angela.... and it doesn't have transformer outputs either.

Darn!

...And I was doing so well...!

;)

Colin is the man who'd know!

I was informed that the blue ones were different under the skin, by someone who really ought to know, so I took it as accurate information. -However, Colin's word trumps all others, so please disregard my input and listen to him instead!

I always thought that the 2500's were all transformerless... were there any with the sowter input tranny preamp as well? -If so then perhaps that indeed is where the other person got confused...

Keith

by the way there was a topic "Amek M2500 Build and Support Thread" that does not work anymore...

If somebody has info on diy for this preamp, please start a new thread!??

Alright! How do you want me to shot the picture for the strip? the back side or any parts you want a marco on? but give me a day or 2 as I need to dig into it, FYI, I also got a totally took apart M2500 and a Blowed up Raindirk !  and mostly thank you so much for helpping me out.

The M2500 is the one which had the option of transformer or electronic.... the electronic input is basically the same circuit used on the Angela but on a small subcard.... the transformer input otpion was a different subcard and a Sowter transformer (I think).

[There was actually a 3rd version of the Angela input module but I always exclude it because I am not sure if they were ever actually sold/manufactured.... in which the mute circuit relays were replaced by electronic switches.... there may be a couple of consoles with those input modules].

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

I remember i was trying to rack up the 2500 strip but finally gave up on it cos it got many electronic controll and I dont know how and where to start............. :-\

pedroplanet said:
by the way there was a topic "Amek M2500 Build and Support Thread" that does not work anymore...

If somebody has info on diy for this preamp, please start a new thread!??

That thread actually still works.
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=35002.0

You just have to log out first to see the content.
It's a secret thread available only to non-members.  ;D

pedroplanet said:
so no one can post there...
did you finish your micpre?

Apparently not. I wrote to a moderator to ask what's up with it, but nobody knows. Just a mystery I guess.

We should probably just start a new thread at this point.

I did add the content I had to the lab wiki.

I only finished one channel so far! I still need to order parts for the other three.

I own a Blue 27 channel Angela (the channel 28 position has a mono master installed)
With no automation.  It's a short frame desk with the patchbay external and not built in.

I would suggest:
Get the tants off the power rails on all the modules and replace them with FCs
plus recap every thing.

The biggest problem I am having is the edge connectors and the shadow switches.
Pots have not been a big problem as a good cleaner seems to make them work like new.
Colin (slenderchap) can help you with the edge connectors.  If you have to replace any Colin can
sell you the parts to make new ones as no one is making them.  Colin KNOWS Angelas !! :)

These desks are wonderful sounding and are worth the time and money to restore.

GARY

I asked a friend and he says he is fine, we just need a few days to find a scanner for the scheme, a fairly large format
bpucekov

www.akaj.hr

electrochronic said:
I was working with member Jensenman to acquire some reed relays directly from the manufacturer, but have lost touch with it. Still need to grab some spares though. I think Jensenman has a Amek2500 with transformers inputs on channel strips.

These relays turned out to be ridiculously expensive in the numbers I need that it just doesn´t make any sense to have them manufactured. Buying these from Colin is cheaper. I dunno how he is doing it to get this price but believe me his price for the CCPRI/J relay is extremely good compared to the alternative
The only other possibility to work around these relays is to use an adapter PCB for standard relays and change the driver circuit. I don´t know if that´s worth the time and work. In the end you save on the relay but spend money in other parts and time. I still haven´t decided what to do here.

Adky, did you ever finish your M2500 channel racking? If not I might be interested in your channel. If you did finish it I´d be interested in left-over knobs, if you still have them.

Never get that going, and I will need to go to the warehouse to check and visit her, let me see what is left over there in a week or so , I let you know. if you know how to rack em , i would like to know too cos I got the complete console but with out the frame, and not sure which channel work or not.

Back