Amek Angela - Master Module - Replacing Tantalum with Electrolytic?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, you think that Douglas Self does not understand Kirchhoff and Thevenin laws? :)
I agree with you about how opamps decoupling should be done properly, but also believe that one capacitor across the rails is better solution than no one at all.

Perhaps both are correct... you couldn't pay me to read his book now, maybe if he wrote it 50 years ago.

I agree with Abbey... I killed too many brain cells when doing console design trying to account for every single current return path (almost impossible, and definitely impractical).

Yes, everything matters, but enough is enough usually.

JR

moamps said:
So, you think that Douglas Self does not understand Kirchhoff and Thevenin laws? :)
Having met and disagreed professionally with Mr Self on a few occasions I know he understands the fundamental laws (and more) of electronics, but he's aman who concentrates on individual issues and often neglect the larger picture; that's why he failed being a great console designer. He designed some brilliant elements of mixers though, such as the active pan-pot and the VLN summing amps used in some Soundraft mixers.

I agree with you about how opamps decoupling should be done properly, but also believe that one capacitor across the rails is better solution than no one at all.
A better solution to stability, yes, but not a good one regarding current circulation.

I've referred this thread recently ..

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=37307.0

it's more relevant here than where I had posted before I guess... It still leaves me confused but definitely has some good stuff....

using tantalum might save a lot of maintenance if you have a board stuffed with 10,000 lytics,

and the tantalum cap might hold it's value better over time,  plus they are smaller,

lytics explode too ya know,  but the tants can project sharp pieces, and hot metal, where as a lytic  fails more like a party popper.

love those tants,  seen a zillion of them, my old boss came up with a simple analog circuit in his garage for detecting current in a power line and switching a transistor according to the setpoint controlled by the pot,  could not have done it without those tants, needed a small package to fit in an electrical panel,  i reverse engineered a Vistalite bike light, then simplified the flashing circuit which we employed in the design. these guys went for about 50 bucks, use to build and test 300 a day,  that comes out to about $15,000 a day, almost 4 million a year til somebody else caught on and we had to drop the price a bit, the boss retired after 8 years with 12 million dollars and bought a winery in Healdsburg.  don't give up on your dreams! 

2000 turn torroid CT coil gets soldered onto this board, circuit steals a few microamps from power line (self powered),

Attachments

• cs.JPG
    cs.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 22
CJ said:
lytics explode too ya know,  but the tants can project sharp pieces, and hot metal, where as a lytic  fails more like a party popper.
The worst capacitor explosion I recall was a huge metallized film cap on a very early switching power supply back in the 1960s (used to absorb switching spikes in a transformer winding). Luckily I was across the room away from my bench when it blew, it snowed little bits of metallized polymer all over my bench area.  :eek:

JR

how about an old school mercury battery exploding and spraying  a big  copper clad pc board because the technician left it hooked up overnight?

Back