Amek BC 3 with LL 1539

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andybaker28

I was curious if anyone had compared the channels of an Amek BC BC 315 channel with and without a LL1539 output transformer. I really love the console now, but still interested to know if adding the Lundahls would help to smooth transients and high frequencies. I have 9 mono channels and 7 stereo channels. My console already has them on the output of the master channel, but I found a good deal on 7 transformers and was thinking of trying it. Any have any experience with this?

Thanks!

No expierience with a BC3 but with the 1539 in other racked Amek strips. That´s a very high level tranny. It will barey get nonlinear at the levels your desk will spit out. If you want to get sound out of a tranny better get something with more steel in the core. These have a wider nonlinear range and even start at very low levels with distortion.
Edcors are available rated in power and voltage vs distortion which pretty good reflects the sonic influence.

jensenmann said:
No expierience with a BC3 but with the 1539 in other racked Amek strips. That´s a very high level tranny. It will barey get nonlinear at the levels your desk will spit out. If you want to get sound out of a tranny better get something with more steel in the core. These have a wider nonlinear range and even start at very low levels with distortion.
Edcors are available rated in power and voltage vs distortion which pretty good reflects the sonic influence.

Thanks for that info! That is exactly what I needed to hear. I will look into the Edcors then! I had seen the the LL1539s were  in my manual for the console and tons of headroom and clean would make sense. If you have any suggestion a good replacement idea I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

Andy

Is it possible jensenmann is confusing with another transformer?
Lundahl LL1539 is one of the best transformer around and it can't be compared to Edcor ones
Edcor makes nice transformers ... but only in the cheap range and they can't be compared to Lundahl  :)

That´s what I wrote. The OP wants a tranny which saturates when hit by transients, which the Lundahl will not do. The lower power rated Edcors will do that.

I used either Edcor and Lundahl transformers: the Edcors are ok but they can't be compared with the Lundahls
I used the Edcors to save money (they are quite inexpensive) but all the project I have realized sound a lot better with Lundahls
I used the LL1539 in the output of many projects (preamp, compressors, etc.) without problems and with great results
I don't know the Amek BC315 but if they suggest to use Lundahl transformers it is possible there is a reason
If you see the LL1539 data sheet you can see that it is made to work with operational circuits, too
In any case I would not put the Edcors in a mixer because they are not shielded like Lundahls, but  this is only my opinion

jensenmann said:
That´s what I wrote. The OP wants a tranny which saturates when hit by transients, which the Lundahl will not do. The lower power rated Edcors will do that.

I'm sorry but I think there some confusion here the OP never stated he wanted a transformer  "which saturates when hit by transients".

He said "know if adding the Lundahls would help to smooth transients and high frequencies", I know what you mean  jensenmann smooth the transients could be achieved by saturation, but I think in this case andybaker28 didnt want to achieve saturation.

can you please clarify that Andy?
what do you want to achieve?
Are you looking for transformer saturation or are you just asking if fitting a lundhal transformer will improve the sound?

Hi there,

Actually I wasn't really looking for distortion, just seeing if the Lundahls would do something nice to the high end. Just a bit of smoothing. I was curious if anyone had put them in their BC3 and noticed much improvement to the sound. 

Off the subject a bit, I am actually preparing another BC 3 for live tracking and was curious if anyone knew of a meter bridge for sale for a BC 3? I am wanting one with master metering, not only the bus meters.

Thanks!

A

Whoops said:
jensenmann said:

I'm sorry but I think there some confusion here the OP never stated he wanted a transformer  "which saturates when hit by transients".

He said "know if adding the Lundahls would help to smooth transients and high frequencies", I know what you mean  jensenmann smooth the transients could be achieved by saturation, but I think in this case andybaker28 didnt want to achieve saturation.

can you please clarify that Andy?
what do you want to achieve?
Are you looking for transformer saturation or are you just asking if fitting a lundhal transformer will improve the sound?

andybaker28 said:
Actually I wasn't really looking for distortion, just seeing if the Lundahls would do something nice to the high end. Just a bit of smoothing. I was curious if anyone had put them in their BC3 and noticed much improvement to the sound. 

Well improvement is highly subjective and psychological also, I'm sure someone that will pay the amount of money needed to install Lundhal transformers in 24 channels of a console will have to psychologically compensate for the expense by "feeling" that the desk was highly improved.
I'm not saying that it will not improve, I personally dont know.

As for the Lundhals "smoothing or doing anything good in the high end", Im not really sure, these transformers are not designed to colour the sound, they are made to high standards and with a goal of being as transparent and possible, if they smooth the High End I guess Lundhal would have failed.

Latest posts

Back