Input Transformer Comparison Help: Vintage API AP2622 vs Ed Anderson EA2622

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schassy

Hey Everyone,

I'm in the process of creating a switchable transformer "color box" for my mastering setup. I'll be modifying a 2 channel preamp that has a mono-summed output with a 600:600 Nickel Output Transformer. I plan to add a pair of Neve Marinair 31267s and I've now been thinking about adding a third API style pair, so I can sort of get an amazing trifecta of tone choice!

As the title suggests, I've narrowed my search down to the real deal vintage AP2622 or the modern recreation sold by CAPI, the EA2622. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on these input transformers and if anyone had any recommendations on which to choose?

I also have been struggling to find a pair of AP2622 anywhere online so I'm curious if anyone has any rough price info on those or if they can point me in the right direction of where to find some to buy?

Thanks!

Sam

Are you planning to pad the 2622? The 31267 can be wired for 1:1 but the 2622 is either 1:3.5 or 1:7.

I’ve used Jeff’s/Ed’s 2622 - it sounds fantastic. I haven’t directly compared to a vintage 2622, but other people have and the EA2622 supposedly is bang on. I think it’s considered as being interchangeable as a spare in vintage API consoles, so must be very close. It’s not a complicated wind IIRC, so probably not as hard to get right as some of the older transformers (UTC, Peerless, etc).

At $48/piece, I would go with the EA2622 and not look back.

Are you planning to pad the 2622? The 31267 can be wired for 1:1 but the 2622 is either 1:3.5 or 1:7.

I’ve used Jeff’s/Ed’s 2622 - it sounds fantastic. I haven’t directly compared to a vintage 2622, but other people have and the EA2622 supposedly is bang on. I think it’s considered as being interchangeable as a spare in vintage API consoles, so must be very close. It’s not a complicated wind IIRC, so probably not as hard to get right as some of the older transformers (UTC, Peerless, etc).

At $48/piece, I would go with the EA2622 and not look back.
Hey Dylan,

Thank you for sharing this! I think I will, a lot of this technical stuff is pretty over my head but I'm working with a friend at Teegarden Audio to get this built. Would padding it be problematic in any way for my intended use?

Hey Everyone,

I'm in the process of creating a switchable transformer "color box" for my mastering setup. I'll be modifying a 2 channel preamp that has a mono-summed output with a 600:600 Nickel Output Transformer. I plan to add a pair of Neve Marinair 31267s and I've now been thinking about adding a third API style pair, so I can sort of get an amazing trifecta of tone choice!

Sam
Is this working with line level or mic level inputs? The Neve 31267 is a line input transformer that was normally wired 9600:600 i.e. 1:4 step down.

Cheers

Ian

Is this working with line level or mic level inputs? The Neve 31267 is a line input transformer that was normally wired 9600:600 i.e. 1:4 step down.

Cheers

Ian
Hey Ian, it'll primarily be line level as I'll be sending mixes to it from my Lynx Hilo and then printing back into the Hilo for more processing.

I just bought 5 2622s to repair some api channels. Took me months to find some and they ended up being $250 each. Id go with the CAPI ones, not just for price but because there are probably more people looking to complete their vintage consoles and I am biased towards those people getting any that may come up.

I just bought 5 2622s to repair some api channels. Took me months to find some and they ended up being $250 each. Id go with the CAPI ones, not just for price but because there are probably more people looking to complete their vintage consoles and I am biased towards those people getting any that may come up.
That makes sense, thanks for sharing!

Hey Ian, it'll primarily be line level as I'll be sending mixes to it from my Lynx Hilo and then printing back into the Hilo for more processing.
OK, you will be fine with the 3162, but the API 2622 is a mic input transformer. It input impedance will be quite low and it is not really designed to operate at line levels so as others have said, it will need a pad at the input. TBH I do not know how API did their line inputs.

Cheers

Ian

OK, you will be fine with the 3162, but the API 2622 is a mic input transformer. It input impedance will be quite low and it is not really designed to operate at line levels so as others have said, it will need a pad at the input. TBH I do not know how API did their line inputs.

Cheers

Ian
Hey Ian, thank you so much for this. This has more so just been an idea swirling around in my head so the actual technical limitation have been foreign to me, really appreciate you letting me know!

Hey Dylan,

Thank you for sharing this! I think I will, a lot of this technical stuff is pretty over my head but I'm working with a friend at Teegarden Audio to get this built. Would padding it be problematic in any way for my intended use?

I’m not clear on the signal flow you’re thinking about… were you planning to make the 31267 and 2622 switchable in place of the 600:600 output tx, or did you want to use those two as input transformers with the 600:600 also in circuit?

Just wondering because all 3 transformers have different ratios and impedances. It would be feasible to switch between the 3, but you would also have to switch in different pads, gain structures around each of them etc

Latest posts

Back