An interesting relic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewYorkDave

I was going to bid on this; but, as usual, I was too busy having a life and I missed the auction :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5720211424

The ending price wasn't too bad considering its age and rarity. I wish I had put my bid in, but that's life.

I doubt it's from the '20s, as the seller implies, since electronic recording didn't really exist then. But it sure looks pre-war, anyway!

Cleaned up, it would at least make a nice conversation piece.

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]I doubt it's from the '20s, as the seller implies,
Cleaned up, it would at least make a nice conversation piece.[/quote] Dave...I agree with you on the age. That is very retro, though! Nice knobs!

Peace!
Charlie

> I doubt it's from the '20s, as the seller implies, since electronic recording didn't really exist then.

There was radio. Very popular in the early 1920s.

Talkie films start in the late 1920s. I suspect (can't find a reference) that there were electric-cut records in the 1920s, even though acoustic cutting was still strong.

And the style is right. I've owned 1920s radios and this is about how they looked, except a console has so many controls that they used a stepped shape.

It isn't 1930s. Or if it is, it was a close-out of a 1920s design.

It probably wants carbon mike inputs. Possibly double-button carbon, which is much better than a telephone capsule. There were other options, and in late 1920s it may well be dynamic/ribbon or even condenser. Or it may have been used with all external mike preamps mounted IN the studio for best noise (the BBC used this scheme for a long time).

You could mount a couple Greens in the bottom, worked by the original knobs, and hide a CDR4U CD recorder behind the top left panel. Fabulous location recording rig. All you need is the morning-glory horn loudspeaker to monitor on.

[quote author="PRR"]> Possibly double-button carbon
[\quote]... or moving conductor.
Ribbon mics of 1924 are Schottki-Gerlach by Siemens
Olson s patents (relatet to the baffle - action of
ribbon surrounding pole pieces) are newer.

xvlk

Back