Another PRR Vari-Mu question...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, I didn't have any hum problems.

cheers,
kent

p.s. I'll get that web page fixed as soon as I can but my Acrobat Distiller for Mac OS9 disapeared. I gotta switch to OSX!

Kent, the hum was only when i grounded the - input to get a balanced input. running true balanced inputs got rid of this noise. This unit is not in a box yet though..

other than that it's a great project and welcome addition!

thanks all!

I'll draw up a board for the balanced output soon.

:thumb:

> The input as designed really only likes seeing a balanced input. cold (- pin) shorted to ground gives VERY noisy output (noise floor around -40db@unity!, mostly 60hz hum) while leaving -pin open gives almost nothing.

Leaving a transformer pin open will of course give nothing.

Balanced or unbalanced drive should NOT matter. Even with the low-price RS transformer.

Wait. As-packaged, one side of one RCA cable is connected to the transformer shell on the PCB. You gotta take the tranny off the PCB. That will give you a 5-terminal device: 2 pri, 2 sec, and one shell which goes to chassis.

> I did the +4 mod suggested earlier .... I really need a balanced output too.. I assume there will be no problem with running the outputs to a pair of 5532s set to unity right?

If you are going to add 5532s, why not do what I suggested: leave the core at -10dB and use the standard 2-opamp buffer?

> try a regulated supply for the opamps

Should not matter except as a minor refinement.

> adding a 12v reg to the 12v supply either

If your heater wiring is sloppy, you might need not so much regulation as a separate heater feed. My objection to the PCB layout you pointed to is that the several grounds are mixed in one long skinny trace, injecting main-cap ripple throughout the system. Get a 12VDC wall-wart, or take the battery out of your motorcycle, and feed the heater with it, see what difference it makes.

> balanced input gives around -65 to -70db noisefloor with faders @unity. not too shabby.

Output hiss-noise should be 80dB below limiting level. Hum and buzz are implementation issues.

Thanks PRR, I'll be tinkering with this for a while to say the least. I should say that for just coming up with this and not even prototyping one yourself you did a fine job, and I appreciate your work!

as for leaving one pin on the trafo undone, I just did it for the sake of it, I didn't expect anything and got just that.

I'm not sure what you mean by take the tranny off the PCB..

Do you mean that the shell of the trafo is internally attached to one of the pins on the trafo? this wouldn't happen to be the one with the white dot next to it would it? I didn't bother to ohm the shell to any pins because I didn't figure the shell would be attached.. I see that the the two output trafos have one output to ground.. do you mean to take those up and set them up for balanced output?

what gets me is why grounding the -input causes so much noise to infiltrate.. I would guess it's a dirty ground and the noise is then becoming part of the signal when attached to the trafo?

as for the two opamp setup, that is one of the ways I was thinking of doing it. I will probably do just that, however I was wondering if just adding another board would do the trick so that I can continue using this board.. lazyness i suppose.. :green: If not I'll layout another.

I already put the regulated supply in and as you say it doesn't do much, good or bad. this was just tinkering to see what would happen.

the heater wiring is straight from the PS to the board, less than 8 inches of 16ga wire.

as for the mixed grounds on the skinny trace, I would think adding a large solid cored ground along this ground trace would help, no?

I thought that -65 to -70 was good, but I'll try to hit -80db, maybe i should layout another board? I guess i thought tubes would just be noisier.. :green:

thanks again PRR!

Here's the link to the MP3 thanks to Ebartlet!

again, it's hard to tell that it's compressing because it's very subtle even though i might be compressing fairly heavily.

oh and the track content sucks I know, it was just a quick jam session to figure out some new parts to a song we are working on.

http://www.ericbartlett.com/files/groupdiy/Track01.mp3

yeah this has a pair of SSLs too, one on the guitar and one on the drums(much lighter than before though!) then the Varimu on the output.

should really rock when i get enough material together to actually mix something good!

and those are the ECM8000 modded mics on the overheads.. actually they aren't even ECM8000s anymore except for the bodies.

Ratshack specials..

actually i can't hear them doing anything, i guess that's good for some, bad for others..

I think Mr. PRR knew a thing or two more than he was/is telling us when he "chose" those. He almost insisted we try them over other *better* types at 100 times the price. maybe we should investigate into them further...

Hey, Svart, is there any chance you could post "before and after" clips (just a handful of seconds each) so I might try to make a comparison? If not, no big deal. Thanks!

I'm almost embarassed to say that I wasn't sure it would work well since it wasn't a verified design. Not many people have built this it seems and i guess i was hesitant because of that. I was very delighted when i first plugged it in and listened to it! it's actually a very nice little unit.. nice, simple, cheap and easy to mod and build with no special parts needed.

even without MP3 files i would suggest building one since it truly is cheap to build. I had most of my parts on hand to build it. ordered tubes, bases and audio/ power trafos. I etched my own boards. so I would say that the 100$ budget is more than adequate for the working unit. factor in the chassis and knobs and you might go a little over 100$ but not much.

Ddear All,

On the subject of tranny's and PRR vari-mu . . .

I note with interest that Jakob said that 10k:10k is cewl for "interstage", but PRR sed 600R or 2K . . . .

As I have a few Gardners :thumb: 10k:10kct, will they "do" for input or outyput or both? I intend to use a GainBloak or 2520 for output in parallel with a 5532 for simplicities sake - no disrespect to ba238+Iron, but I ain't got enny, but me gots da uvvas. innit?

I would LERV to know WHY they might "do" or not, - are they "better" or "worse" than 600R:600R, and if so, - How?

As per usual, any input very welcome indeed!

All the best,

ANdyP

[quote author="strangeandbouncy"]
I note with interest that Jakob said that 10k:10k is cewl for "interstage", but PRR sed 600R or 2K . . . .
[/quote]

Im wondering the same thing, cos I just remembered that I have about a dozen sowter 3575 10k:10k transformers in my parts bin and was thinking about trying this thing for myself. any reason why the 3575's wouldn't be a good idea?

mike p

sorry to bump this, but anyone got an opinion on this?

[quote author="mikep"][quote author="strangeandbouncy"]
[/quote]

Im wondering the same thing, cos I just remembered that I have about a dozen sowter 3575 10k:10k transformers in my parts bin and was thinking about trying this thing for myself. any reason why the 3575's wouldn't be a good idea?

mike p[/quote]

[quote author="mikep"][quote author="strangeandbouncy"]
[/quote]

mike p[/quote]

bumperty - bump :!:
I also got a few 3575 earmarked for this project over the festive period - will they work :?:

Hi, :grin:

I'm going to play with this interesting schemo in a few time,may be with an srpp output stage 12au7+transformers.

Just want to know if someone as try another tube instead of 12au7,like ecc189,pcc189 or e188cc the ecc189 was used in tv tube.

I'm not very experiment with the vari-µ comp,so that's why I'm very interested by this very nice design cause I'm going to play and experiment to see what 's going on. :thumb:

Thank's.

Regards,b2. :grin:

mikep did u ever do build with the sowter 3575s.
Do they work?
I've some second hand ones on the way, been wanting to build this for ages.
Perhaps its time to get the ferric chloride out :grin:

Latest posts

Back