Antelope vs Crane Song Converter question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeswax

I have the opportunity to score a Gen1 Crane Song Avocet for a bargain from a reputable studio (because it's a beast for them to ship and pay eBay/Reverb percentages). Currently, I'm on a Gen1 Antelope Orion 32 to a Presonus Central Station. Eventually I'll want to acquire a Gen3 Antelope for more I/O and the improved converters. Since I mix alone at home and am not a commercial studio I'm mostly attracted to the Avocet for its distinguished D/A and could get along fine with another desktop monitor controller (like Heritage) coupled with the Antelope Gen 3. So, the question is how the Antelope D/A conversion stacks up against the Avocet and whether the Central Station is subtractive in quality against the Antelope Gen 3 D/A? Am I better to put my dollars toward the Antelope Gen3 which solves two issues at once (added I/O and improved conversion along with a passive monitor box like Heritage) or should I jump on this Avocet?

Maybe my post wasn't clear. I guess the question has two parts. Firstly, how does the Antelope Gen 3 D/A converter compare to the Avocet? Secondly, I own a Presonus Central Station but wonder if, as it is also a D/A itself, whether it diminishes the Antelopes D/A? Is it better to use a passive controller box (like Heritage) strickly for monitor control rather than the Central Station?

I have it connected through S/PDIF. Does it act as a converter then? What connection makes it just a passive controller?

I don't know that unit, but passive controllers use analog inputs.

Crane Song gear sounds great if you ask me... if you can get it at a really low price just grab it, you can always sell it if you don't like it.

I have it connected through S/PDIF. Does it act as a converter then? What connection makes it just a passive controller?
Yes. You're using the digital "D" (input) and it's being converted to it's analog "A" (outputs). So using it as a DA converter. Like PermO says, using the analog inputs through it's outputs would make it a passive controller and not use the digital conversion. Just listen to the differences. Should be pretty obvious I'm guessing.

I would grab the crane song in a heart beat like PermO says. I’m sure it sounds great.

That said, I find the DA in the Central station useful. I use Toslink in for the Mac dig out to play iTunes library and use the spdif in [on Central station
] for a quick 2track of protools 2 mix from the Omni I/O out both dig and Analog. I also use the Analog in From my API 2 mix as well when using the API as a summing mixer. I’m sure there are better sounding DA’s like the Avoset. The Omni 2 out is a better sounding DA than the 192 and for me is good enough.

Latest posts

Back