Neve 8816 Need help with input mod

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arsmusic

OK so I have a Neve 8816 and want to do a mod to it.  I sent an email to neve and an email to a local tech who has done work for me before.

This is what I need done

I have a neve 8816, and want to add 4 buttons instead of pushing the Mon knob to switch between (mix, 2trk, 1/2, 1/8").    I will be putting the buttons on my desk not inside of the 8816.  So I would need an external box with 4 small (1" by 3/4" type) buttons that I could mount into my desk.  I need this so I can switch from mix to 2trk to reference mixes with out having move from the center position of the monitors and pushing through 4 input modes.

these are the 2 responses I got back from neve and the local tech

Hi Brian,

What you ask for is not possible I'm afraid, as the pot on the 8816 only
steps through the available paths, it doesn't actually select them (ie on
pressing the pot, a signal is sent saying 'monitor the next path in the
sequence', not 'directly monitor the 2trk').

Regards

Ray Gago
Tech Support
Brian, I think a custom solution would get expensive, at least to do it right, and you would be better off looking for an off the shelf product that would fit your needs, though I don't have any particular unit to recommend. But thank you for asking.

David Kulka
Studio Electronics, Inc.

Well this was not really what I want to hear, does anyone here know a work around for this???

here are a few other peices of gear I could use with the neve to do what I want

Audient Centro $1,800 USD
Crane Song Avocet $2,800 USD
Dangerous Music Monitor ST $1,900 USD

and then the hunk of junk PreSonus Monitor Station $300 usd

and there is this that would work but would need some mods to make a remote

A Designs Audio ATTY 2'D $525 USD

So as you can see my options are rather expensive Im hoping to get this done for around $300-$600 USD.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

Take a look at the colemanaudio.com products MS6 and MS6A.
You want a selector, but you don't want volume as well?  I don't recommend changing the Neve.  Ray Gago knows his product.
If you want to go DIY, search for stereo audio ABC switchers.  Most of them also have video switched, so you cut the traces inside and re-wire it out to XLR pigtails to make a balanced ABC box.  The video poles you use for switching shields if you want to do that.  I also add a volume knob to make it a switcher with volume.

If you want to buy, you cannot beat the robust build of those Coleman Audio units; I use them in many studio builds, and they are passive (except for the active headphone out on the 6A).  The switcher with alt speaker outs might be the perfect thing to have on your desk.
Mike

hey sodder boy

do you have a schematic of an abc box to build or a web page or instructions to do so. 

THanks Brian

Latest posts

Back