Any adhesive removal experts?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freq Band

GDIY Supporter
Well, OK, not adhesive, I lied.

but...

You know that sticky film that develops on various 30 year-old plastics ?
....particularly the semi-soft plastics ?
The sticky  doesn't seem to clean off with normal water-base or petroleum solvents.

What works ?

I also find such goo develop when/where the tape has been removed from "newish" microphone cables.

=FB=

Freq Band said:
I also find such goo develop when/where the tape has been removed from "newish" microphone cables.
Naptha. -aka Zippo lighter fluid.

Can't help with the other one though... I'm not certain that I know what you're describing though.

Keith

You might want to try some orange-solvent. Curiously it is exactly what it says, even smells nice and orangey.

Be careful, it might disagree with some plastics.

Here in the uk it's sold by Maplin (high street electronic components and techie stuff store) in an aerosol as label remover. RS sell it in a pen form as the same kind of thing. Rumour has it that cyclists can buy it by the litre for degreasing their bike chains (never seen it in this form myself though)

CS

You know that sticky film that develops on various 30 year-old plastics

Very often, it's not a film, but the plastic itself that starts dissolving, as the softener gets old. So even if you remove the outer layer, it may very well be sticky all way through.

We once had a set of rollers for our MTR-90 that went from barely usable to completely fluid over a period of two months. And I mean fluid like running into and destroying a pile of ball bearings that was in the same box.

Jakob E.

Jakob, old MTR-90 pinch rollers are wonderful things. They go from firm rubber to 'the goo that ate Manhatten' in a few weeks... but I kept some in a zip-lock bag to study it, and I found that it's FABULOUS stuff with many fascinating properties...

*  As a lint-remover it is without equal.
*  It terrifies cats.
*  It can be used to attach posters to walls, -and...
*  Assuming you probably wanted to take down the posters in a couple of months anyway... it will suddenly one-day remove the poster for you.

Keith

Normally lighter fluid should work as Keith suggested. However, in unusal situations below should also work

Isolate the surrounding of the area that has the gooie glue.

Spray some freezer, refrigerant, fault detection freezer or wahetever you call it there.

Then rub it off with your finger.

You may alternatively use ice for that.

This is also good for removing chewing gum off clothes/fabric or your kid's hair.

Normally lighter fluid should work as Keith suggested. However, in unusal situations below should also work

Mask/isolate the surrounding of the area that has the gooie glue.

Spray some freezer, refrigerant, fault detection freezer or wahetever you call it there.

Then rub it off with your finger.

You may alternatively use ice for that.

This is also good for removing chewing gum off clothes/fabric or your kid's hair.

In the US the citrus cleaner of choice is 'Goo Gone', pick it up in any Walmart... great stuff, use it all the time for cleaning sticky residue on old equipment and it smells... well... refreshing... orangy....

Matt

Latest posts

Back