Any opinions on this

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Umm, straight out of China, with all of the attendant buzzwords. Might be a good place to play from. If you want a starter platform for tubes. It's a switching supply, so no messing with "sag", no filament weirdness, pcb layout dependent on them.

Hermetically sealed? Cool!

Met the guys today who are making this. In a 5 minute conversation I heard more hogwash then I could stand. They also didn’t understand why the di at the rear of the unit is a problem
Hi my partner I build these preamps in Los Angeles California in our small starter shop, we've been prototyping this design from the ground up for 4.5 years now. We wind all of our audio transformers, pot them in mumetal, solder all components to PCBs, assemble everything in-house, pack and ship, and fulfill orders. This process takes us a long time and we take pride in a product that we have designed and come up with. So to respond to some of the comments above, No it's not a product from China, and if you refer to our website you can find out more answers to any questions you may have about the design topology etc.

Rattling is part of the business - product communication is not aimed at pure-bred technicians but at potential users. It's okay to create an emotional bridge and, by the way, some well known trendy products exaggerate a lot more in this respect.

In my opinion, the decisive factor is whether the product lyric still has something to do with reality and that seems to be the case here.

I see a well-made device with high-quality components and a very useful feature set. Okay, I would also put the DI/instrument input on the front panel, it's just more practical that way...but otherwise, well done!

You have every right to be proud of your product! I wish you a lot of success! (y)

I can only judge the looks of it.

Why is it 4HE ? ... it's 80% "big empty box" ...yes I know, the VU's wouldn't fit otherwise.

Sorry to say, but it looks cheap, the 3 different sizes of LED holder on the front panel and the logo and general layout really turn me off.

DI input on the back ? ...that's a really "beyond bad" design choice

DI input on the back ? ...that's a really "beyond bad" design choice
There are certainly people who want exactly that. As I said, I prefer the instrument input on the front panel, but some people will be happy with the rear input, as there are no open cables hanging around in front of the rack. Switchable between front and back would perhaps be the optimum...

There are certainly people who want exactly that. As I said, I prefer the instrument input on the front panel, but some people will be happy with the rear input, as there are no open cables hanging around in front of the rack. Switchable between front and back would perhaps be the optimum...
I can’t think of any person who would have it in a rack and think the di inputs on the rear are a good idea.
Defeats it being in a rack.

Last edited:
I can’t think of any person who would have it a rack and think the di inputs on the rear or a good idea.
Defeats it being in a rack.
Yes, they do exist. I know some people who hardwire their synthesisers or whatever to the instrument ins of their preamps, and there are still patch bays in studios at least on my side of the pond.

I didn’t think the copy was overly flowery. I’m going through something like this with my vinyl mastering console Shaker Desk. All the copy I came up with was dry and technical. Everyone told me it was terrible. It was. Eventually a friend revised it and most like it now. The average pro audio consumer is not super technical. They like the hype.

For several years I managed the Product Management group inside Peavey. One issue my product managers had to deal with was hyperbolic claims from competitors. In a POS side by side comparison, conservative specs can look puny. Alternately brand perception can modulate product perception up and/or down.

Edit: Peavey had a poor general market perception for several reasons.

FWIW loudspeaker specs were some of the worst for inaccurate comparisons, while all product sectors had their issues.

JR

The DI input on the back of the unit is something completely ridiculous,
Pucho is right, no one that uses this unit on a rack will be able to use the DI input, it doesn't make any sense at all. Only someone that never worked in a studio will think that it's a good idea.

I guess they spent much more time improving the sound of the custom Bakelite VU's than understanding user needs.

fwiw Peavey amps go WAAAAY back to the time I worked as a young service guy at a music store....circa 1972. Very decent product. Oddly, the Kustom and Peavey amps had essentially the same circuits!

JR......your AMR desks were totally under-estimated in the market. Great designs on par with MCI but to a different price point.

Bri

Back