any thoughts on improved behringer ADA8000: ADA 8200?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikb1971

Hi all... found this quoted on some forum... what are your thoughts? Could it be the improvements a lot of people waited for?

Dear all,

in earlier posts some of you commented on the ADA8000 and suggested improvements. We are truly grateful for those suggestions and today we're excited to announce a vastly improved version of the ADA8000. It's the ULTRAGAIN DIGITAL ADA8200. I have also communicated with Bob Lentini from SAC and received his feedback for which I personally thank him.

Here are some of the improvements:

- The linear PSU has been replaced by a universal auto-range SMPSU. The heat issues are resolved
- A high-end Midas-designed preamp has been implemented on all 8 channels
- The detent VR's were replaced by non-detent types and also feature a much better linearity at high-gain settings
- High-quality Cirrus AD/DA converters have been designed in
- The TL072 op-amps were all replaced by NJM4580 for better audio performance

The unit should be in stores by end of year.

Again, thank you for all your valuable feedback.

Warm regards

Uli

5dl0mu.png

they found a way to make it cheaper while appearing to upgrade it ?
I wonder if it is actually less up-gradable now  [ for chips & things ]
for me, still tough to trust Berhringer or chinese

I have been reading about the Black Lion Audio mods, which have me interested in modding my ADA8000. I only purchased it for some extra returns on my console, so perfect conversion isn't a concern. Anyone here have any thoughts?

Looks like the PSU is on a separate board now, doesnt it? That should make it easier to replace it with a linear piece that could drive any chips you'd want to replace those njm's with.

That's interesting, it looked like the obvious update was soon to come, then it was silent for years, and now there's the ADA8200  :)

Like everybody will know, the biggest omission on the ADA8000 was that in order to use the box in full analog mode (simply 8 mic-preamps, analog out), you had to go from A-to-D, outside through the ADAT-lightpipe, D-to-A back again.

Have they added a direct analog out mode now ?

edit: hmm, it doesn't seem so, based on the pics here http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/ADA8200.aspx the buttons are as on the '8000. Ehh, that's pretty unbelievable !!  :eek: :( :mad: :D ::)  ;) ???

Bye

erikb1971 said:

Anybody any idea what those Midas preamps actually look like, schematic-wise ?

Do they differ at all - or much - from the now usual variations on a few bipolar discretes + one (or a few) integrated opamp(s) ?

Bye

clintrubber said:
erikb1971 said:

Anybody any idea what those Midas preamps actually look like, schematic-wise ?

By chance I saw two Midas mic-pre schematics posted in the Tech Ref section, thanks pucho & topcat :)  Increases the BOM for the ADA8200 somewhat, but not too drastically (in case the Midas-type preamp in the '8200 is anything like these). No idea if the 8200 will sell for the same price as the 8000.

Bye

Latest posts

Back