Any way to fab up a PCB based on a PDF?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fazeka

Hi there,

I probably could home etch (in the spirit of the original GroupDIY) but was hoping there was a service that could do this. Anyone know of one?

It's for the old PRR vari-mu project.

I would download the FREE graphic design program INKSCAPE! It is the best and easiest 2D designer. Then convert to PDF... you can even use on online converter best of luck ~

I would download the FREE graphic design program INKSCAPE! It is the best and easiest 2D designer. Then convert to PDF...
Er... not sure I'm following you... the file in that link is already a PDF... not sure why I would convert to one...???

Moreover, is there no vendor/service that you know of that will take a PDF and fab me a PCB?

Er... not sure I'm following you... the file in that link is already a PDF... not sure why I would convert to one...???

Moreover, is there no vendor/service that you know of that will take a PDF and fab me a PCB?
I have never heard of such a thing.

The main issue is that PDF doesn't contain vectorized elements...it's just a low-res image embedded in the PDF. If you zoom in, you can see the jagged edges. There's no way to make a clean etch from it.

Your best bet is import into a free layout program like KiCAD as an image element, scale it until it's the correct size, then retrace over the existing traces. Second best, using Inkscape, if you can re-draw it as a vector format (SVG) then there are scripts online to convert into a Gerber file (although you'd still be missing the drill hole file).

I have no idea where you live, I guess USA. (Is this a WA for Washington?) Try to find a local (semipro) etching service, here in Germany there are still a few, a graphic or PDF file is enough for them. Check craigslist and similar portals.

https://www.platinenbelichter.de/index.php/tipps-tricks.html

I would do it myself, self-etching is fun and unbeatably fast.

Last edited:
The main issue is that PDF doesn't contain vectorized elements...it's just a low-res image embedded in the PDF. If you zoom in, you can see the jagged edges. There's no way to make a clean etch from it.
This is not entirely correct. Yes, a pixel graphic has disadvantages when scaling compared to a vector graphic. The pixel graphic tends to, well, pixelate.

But, there is a good enough If the original resolution is high enough, the edges look very good even under a magnifying glass. The statement that you can't get a clean etching with it is therefore not true.

I do this often and the etching results are more than usable, especially with TTH components I have no problems and I wouldn't be afraid of SMT layouts that can be assembled by humans.

It is simply a question of resolution.

Your best bet is import into a free layout program like KiCAD as an image element, scale it until it's the correct size, then retrace over the existing traces. Second best, using Inkscape, if you can re-draw it as a vector format (SVG) then there are scripts online to convert into a Gerber file (although you'd still be missing the drill hole file).
Thank you. I will take a look at this. Not preferable but am open to it.

I have no idea where you live, I guess USA. (Is this a WA for Washington?)
Yes, me being crafty... :oops:

Try to find a local (semipro) etching service, here in Germany there are still a few, a graphic or PDF file is enough for them. Check craigslist and similar portals.

Hmmm! Never considered that. Thanks!

https://www.platinenbelichter.de/index.php/tipps-tricks.html

I would do it myself, self-etching is fun and unbeatably fast.

Is that an unofficial offer? :unsure:

Is that an unofficial offer? :unsure:
No, it is not. ;)

I took a look at the PDF template and it's not exactly the best quality. Unfortunately, the drill holes for the pads are also extremely small or non-existent, which is no fun.

Shipping to the US is not the cheapest either, unfortunately it only works as a parcel.

If someone gets me a better etching layout, I'll think about it.

Download EasyEda, it will let you import the pdf image.

Place it on the grid and freehand draw over the image to get your circuit board.
I think this should take no longer than one afternoon.

A bit off topic, maybe not.

The entire prr circuit does not need that many components. Why not stick the op amps and rectifier on veroboard ? Once you start modifying the circuit (HPF maybe), more of it wil end up off-board anyway, just like the transformers..

Maybe also separate audio ground and circuit ground.

And the PSU isn't the greatest...

The problem with a pdf is that it can contain a pic (jpg or other), or PostScript code. PostScript code can be converted to almost anything, the pic might be ok but often they're too low resolution.

This one contains images (Width 1728, Height 1800 pixels for the first one). Should be plenty for PCB manufacture. As far as I remember, most PCB manufacturers accept pdf, but they usually don't announce it upfront. If you ask them, they'll tell you to send the pdf. They might charge a bit extra for it.

The different images could be colour and B&W, or different resolutions, or front and back, or...

Yes, I just screen grabbed the image from the PDF into a jpeg to try and it worked.

Use a tube socket footprint from the library to set your scale and you should be good to go I guess.

Ya, I never considered taking a screen cap from the PDF to create the image (duh!). Thanks!

It's funny because drilling out a self-etch really is no different than placing through-holes on an image of traces
Sounds good, but it is not correct. The advantage of an etched "hole" is that it serves as a pilot hole, the drill does not run away when you start it. I do this very often, it makes a big difference.

Latest posts

Back