Any way to fab up a PCB based on a PDF?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds good, but it is not correct. The advantage of an etched "hole" is that it serves as a pilot hole, the drill does not run away when you start it. I do this very often, it makes a big difference.

I think you misunderstood my joke here... I'm talking about "drilling" into the image of traces in the EDA software vs doing it in the physical world ;)

The original question was to fab up a PDF to a PCB. PDFs can pixelate (rough edges) If you do no have high definition in the PDF. So why not through it into a program to convert it to something that has sharp edges like a png or svg or whatever you like?

What about routing the PCB on a milling machine / engraver . Should be possible to convert the pdf to a CAM file ?

Sometimes I found hobbists on ebay or small online businesses offering this kind of service, like this one for example

https://www.retroamplis.com/PCB-MANUFACTURER

If you have a maker space nearby it's worth asking because they often have this kind of tool

Thanks everyone for your input.

What I've done so far was to play around with EasyEDA (suggested by PermO), it seems pretty straightforward. Just imported the image in and am essentially tracing over it.

I have to dedicate a little more time to it to figure it out enough to be able to get gerbers I can send off for fab.

There was also a suggestion (by Script) to re-do the design of it (e.g., separating circuit ground and audio ground, also the power supply). Unfortunately, I don't have the chops to do such. Maybe after an initial build?

I have had pcb's made from pdf images before at a place I used to work. They have always produced results that were reliable.

The person who made them for me printed onto acetate at 100% & used a photo resist etch method. What they did say to me was that they printed 2 acetates & used one on top of the other. This improved the quality of the the non exposed parts of the pcb, because he found that one layer was slightly see through & using 2 cured this problem.

Thanks everyone for your input.

What I've done so far was to play around with EasyEDA (suggested by PermO), it seems pretty straightforward. Just imported the image in and am essentially tracing over it.

I have to dedicate a little more time to it to figure it out enough to be able to get gerbers I can send off for fab.

There was also a suggestion (by Script) to re-do the design of it (e.g., separating circuit ground and audio ground, also the power supply). Unfortunately, I don't have the chops to do such. Maybe after an initial build?

You could put the schematic into easy EDA and then use the existing pcb/overlay as a guide when it comes to laying out the components from the ‘rats nest’. It’s not a component heavy circuit, and although other projects might be better suited to creating your first pcb, I think you’ll do it just fine.

I used to home etch pcb’s back in the day (with varying results) but after getting to grips recently with this software, I may never bother again, but who knows. Anyway, spend a bit of time with it and you’ve doubled your money so to speak with the additional skills learnt.

What about routing the PCB on a milling machine / engraver.
HERE YOU GO, KIDS!!! BE THE FIRST ON YOUR BLOCK TO MAKE PCBs WITH YOUR OWN "PCB MILLING MACHINE"!!!

1708719518601.png
NOTE: My including this photo is -- somewhat -- meant to be kind of a joke!!! This is being shown merely to show there are other ways to fabricate PCBs on a prototype basis other than self-etching.....that's all.

/

Last edited:
I worked at a workshop that had one of these (older) > $10.000 pcb milling machines.

It was very tedious to set up, milling a 10cm x 16cm standard board took the machine aprox 3 hours for 1 side.

But the results were perfect.

I worked at a workshop that had one of these (older) > $10.000 pcb milling machines.

It was very tedious to set up, milling a 10cm x 16cm standard board took the machine aprox 3 hours for 1 side.

But the results were perfect.

Boy, oh Boy !!!
$ 3 200 - $10 000 ?!?

I think I will stick with my old version of Osmond Cocoa and get my fingers yellow (Natriumpersulfat Na2S2O8 is a little bit cleaner) for a while. Or get them PCB's made in China.
I'll home etch, make gear that sounds good and make/record some good music... make some money. Not perfect (what is perfect?) but sounds good.

M

Latest posts

Back