Any XTC fans out there?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggler

I had this melody bumbling about in my head, and so I start thinking and I pulled out the Apple Venus album. Here it was a line from Shining Karma. Man, what great stuff. Any of you guys work with them?

riggler said:
I had this melody bumbling about in my head, and so I start thinking and I pulled out the Apple Venus album. Here it was a line from Shining Karma. Man, what great stuff. Any of you guys work with them?

Never met them, although a friend managed to see them play live in New York City and for that I've been jealous of her for over 25 years. And in my career (of sorts) as a live sound engineer, I've met a lot of my heroes and I'm pretty over going ga-ga over anyone, but I swear if I ever met Andy Partridge I'd do the whole "I'm Not Worthy" thing. (Same with Eno.) Partridge is his generation's Ray Davies.

"Greenman" is one of the songs I pull out when listening to a PA system for the first time. There's some low sub stuff that's unbelievable. The two "Apple Venus" records are underappreciated gems.

I've heard all of the various stories about the creation of "Skylarking" but holy moly it's one AMAZING record.

It's a rare month that goes by without me listening to "Black Sea" or "Drums and Wires" or "English Settlement" or the joyful thing that is the Dukes of Stratosphear.

-a

Oh, I and managed to score an advance of the upcoming Chris Stamey solo record and started listening without really looking at the song listing, and thought, "wow, this is really some of the pastoral XTC stuff, like Mummer or the Apple Venus records," and one of the songs is called "You 'n' Me 'n' XTC" which pretty much nails it.

I make a point to listen to Skylarking several times throughout the summer.  Lot's o nostalgia.
Love all their stuff (of course Dukes of Stratosphere too!) and that video link was great!

Great stuff guys!! I so love the instrumentation, textures, the unabashed expression!! And yeah killer production. Do you know who plays trumpet on "My Bird Performs"? It's just gorgeous.

I listened to Drums & Wires for the first time in ages recently & was shocked to rediscover what a good record it is.  Dukes of Stratosphear bubbled back up when I stumbled upon Tomorrow featuring Keith West (go listen to My White Bicycle on the youtubes--you'll see what I mean.)  And yes, the Apple Venus records are definitely underrated. 

I Normally wouldn't join any Club that would have me as a Member .. But in this case, I'll make an exception ..

Long time Fan since White Music ..

Back