Anyone built the EMT-140 Tape Op Plate ? Sound Samples

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
guy - i think the echoplate design uses those a "link" - a bit like a single chain link with a thread+nut section on one side... don't know what they are called - page nine of jim's pdf shows them:

http://www.platereverb.com/manuals/Plate%20Construction.pdf

i've had pretty good luck with jim's clips on my 140 once i decided to use slightly less tension than he recommends, and slowly approaching the tension at each point evenly. i also made sure the plate was centered and i chose the hole in the plate corners that resulted in the clips being straight, not angled (there are two holes to choose from for each tension point on mine).

but jim's clips definitely don't seem "unbreakable" in my experience...

i think it's a good thing they do break in many ways - it stops you from stretching the plate - and you definitely don't want to do that - as they say, "the sound is in the iron".

there's a myth (?) that they had to stop production of the EMT140 once they ran out of that one particular batch of steel - perhaps that's not true... but it's a nice story :)

Just wondering is a plate reverb would work with a plate which was both much smaller and much thinner. Found the following items on ebay:

1095 Blue Tempered Spring Steel .004" x 6" x 36" (also available in 0.006")

Stainless Steel Metal Foil .002" x 12" x 30"

and I'm tempted to give it a shot, but not knowing a great deal about the practicalities of such devices, I'm not sure how it would go. This is basically steel foil, and though I've seen references to smaller plates being thinner, this would be an extreme example. Clearly I'd want to use very light transducers - I'm even thinking perhaps a homemade 1-pole humbucker pickup (a steel sheet isn't that different from a guitar string, magnetically), to avoid damping the plate ... several of which could also be connected to impedance-matched resistors for passive electronic damping...

only one way to find out.... TRY IT!

my gut feeling is that the magnetic pickup might struggle to pick up the splashy hi frequencies that piezo pickups get...

remember you'll probably need to stretch it fairly tight - so you need to be able to do that without tearing it apart. real plates have welded reinforcement metal at the tension points.

i think there are lots of interesting possibilities - it could sound awesome - or really strange, but still cool.

good luck...

the jcc plan is flawed, it calls for 79" long on the plate, and 80" outside to outside long measurement on frame, clearly that would put the left and right edges of the plate, over the frame, i believe causing a damping/proximity issue.

does anyone know the EXACT measurement of the Emt 140 plate? i'm getting mixed info on the net?

thanx
T

Hello !!Thanks for the great Information !! How about using a  AKG C 411 L Acoustic Pick-Up Miniature Microphone  for the Plate pickup? You could use your Micpreamps for amplification.Noise Level should be low as well and without any harsh resonant frequency.I once build me a "Reverb " from a old Piano Stringframe and used this Mic for the Pickup with very good Results.
Thanks,Greetings from Berlin
Lothar

Hello!

???Is there anyone who has built a plate reverb who would like to sell it??? I am in love with the sound (especially for vocals) but I am NOT handy..

Back